Water Temperature

Greetings, I am a regular distance swimmer, 3 - 6 miles a week. At my current YMCA pool they keep the water temperature at 82 - 83. That is fine. It takes 30 - 45 seconds to adjust after jumping into the water. Swimming, no problem, 2700 yards yesterday. However, we are in the process of relocating to another part of our metropolitan area, Columbus, OH. I checked out the pool in the new area the other day-- the water is Cold. I swam a thousand yards, and was cold the whole time. I'm gonna try again tomorrow. I was told by their aquatics director that they keep the temp at 80 degrees for competitive swimming. Well, it is cold. I am also a 69 year old Heart Patient. I may be more susceptible to cold since my heart attack and bypass surgery 19 months ago. Not sure. I am wondering if others give much thought to water temperature or if they ever have problems with it being too cold. Thanks Skip Cornett Columbus, OH
  • Skip—you are going to get a lot of replies from know-it-alls who will tell you 80-81 is the appropriate temperature for competitive swimming. Don’t listen to them. You have it correct: 82-83, even 84, is perfect. Those who disagree are not spending enough time on the wall recovering from fast swims.
  • There is certainly plenty of room for debate on this subject. I often swim in pools over 83, and it gives me a headache. It's too hot for me, but for many of those who share the pool with me, this is their ideal temperature. Each body reacts differently to water temp. I think of the open water swims I've done in 62 degree water. I go without a wet suit and am fine, but many, very fit people wear one and get out early. (Note my avi is me in the 61 degree Thames sans wet suit and being trailed by someone with one on). Give me a pool at 75, and I'm happy. Unfortunately the only way I get one of those is if the heater breaks.
  • Skip -- Maybe a thin swimming wetsuit could be the answer. Dan
  • For speed swimming, slightly warmer temperatures are optimal. Olympic racing and FINA events mandate a water temperature between 77 – 82 degrees (25 – 28°C), whereas synchronized swimming requires an 81-degree (give or take a degree) pool. For diving, they set the pool water temperature to a moderate 79 degrees (26°C).
  • The pool I train in is kept around 84-85. I'd prefer it a couple degrees cooler, but you can get used to that temperature. Just be sure to keep your water bottle filled. 80 will definitely feel cold if you aren't used to it, but I suggest trying it a few times. I think your body will adapt. It's not really that cold. I'm hoping Doug Martin's reply was meant to be tongue in cheek.
  • Skip—you are going to get a lot of replies from know-it-alls who will tell you 80-81 is the appropriate temperature for competitive swimming. Don’t listen to them. You have it correct: 82-83, even 84, is perfect. Those who disagree are not spending enough time on the wall recovering from fast swims. I am of the vast minority here that agrees 100%
  • 83 and above is good for water aerobics and a myocardial infarction/heat stroke for fatties like me. High 70s for racing is optimal. Best 1 hour postal ever for me was when the heater broke and it was low 60s. The coach for the kiddies told me he would turn the heater off for a night for my next postal if I planned it for the weekend...yay!
  • My nearest pool is kept what I consider quite warm, but, they do have water aerobics classes, so, I guess Kurt, that confirms your first point! I don't love that temperature (it kind of felt like getting into a lukewarm bath, to me, while summer was still warming us outdoors). But, as knelson said, you can get used to it, and it makes that cold water or sports drink really delicious!
  • I too am 69, but not for much longer. I have an artificial aortic valve, which keeps me on a blood thinner drug. You would think that might make me more cold sensitive, but I don't seem to be. What I am is naturally very well insulated. All the pools I swim in are 80-82 and very comfortable whether I'm doing 50yds fast or continuous 2500yd. I used to swim at a local college pool (not part of the school team) 30+ years ago and it was always cooler than that. I'd guess it was between 75-80. I never had a problem with that either. The outdoor town pool, the only 50m pool I have nearby, is quite cold at the beginning of the season, below 70, and yeah, I have a problem with that until I get a lap or two done. From June-Aug I also swim a mile or two with a Tri club each week at a lake which is in the 60s early on, and 75 at best in mid-summer. Most triathletes use wet suits, but not I. Again, I only have difficulty jumping in to start but once under way, no problem. One fitness center where I swim regularly had an annual cleaning last month and refilled with 50 degree water (normal city water temps in October). I went over there two days after reopening, don't know the temperature but the lifeguard on duty said no one had stayed in past 10 minutes that day. I lasted an hour. I actually have no idea what 83-84 would feel like for either speed or distance.
  • "Ideal" water temperature is going to be different for everybody, depending on several factors: Age, body fat composition, health factors (arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure, Raynaud's, and more), your age, how fast you swim, how long you swim for in a session, how long you rest in between sets, what type of sets you are doing (Kick Set? Sprints?), whether you wear a cap (and, if so, what type of cap(s) ), air temperature, wind (if outdoors), how many other people are in the pool with you churning up water to contribute to the humidity level in an indoor pool, your body temperature, if you are tired or not, if you are sick or not, if you are sunburned or not, if you are hungry or not, ETC.! In other words, there is no right or wrong answer; only recommendations and guidelines based on any or all of the above. :2cents: