Water Temperature

Greetings, I am a regular distance swimmer, 3 - 6 miles a week. At my current YMCA pool they keep the water temperature at 82 - 83. That is fine. It takes 30 - 45 seconds to adjust after jumping into the water. Swimming, no problem, 2700 yards yesterday. However, we are in the process of relocating to another part of our metropolitan area, Columbus, OH. I checked out the pool in the new area the other day-- the water is Cold. I swam a thousand yards, and was cold the whole time. I'm gonna try again tomorrow. I was told by their aquatics director that they keep the temp at 80 degrees for competitive swimming. Well, it is cold. I am also a 69 year old Heart Patient. I may be more susceptible to cold since my heart attack and bypass surgery 19 months ago. Not sure. I am wondering if others give much thought to water temperature or if they ever have problems with it being too cold. Thanks Skip Cornett Columbus, OH
Parents
  • Skip--As a fellow 69-year-old, I empathize with your discomfort in cooler water. Doug--With respect, I have this nagging feeling that your attempted pre-emptive response might actually define know-it-all. Despite your effort to head it off, there is much room for a conversation about appropriate water temperature and honest differences of opinion here.
  • Skip--As a fellow 69-year-old, I empathize with your discomfort in cooler water. Doug--With respect, I have this nagging feeling that your attempted pre-emptive response might actually define know-it-all. Despite your effort to head it off, there is much room for a conversation about appropriate water temperature and honest differences of opinion here.
Children
No Data