Why are there very few Masters Swimmers under 40?

I was wondering why there are so few Masters Swimmers under 40. I've visited multiple swim clubs and noticed very few swimmers under 40.
Parents
  • There are 10 YMCA pools within an hour of me and each one has masters team practices, but there is no coordination between them. At mine, there are 3 sessions, 5:30 AM, Noon, and 7:00 PM with maybe 8-10 in each session, but I only go at noon and don't know any of the swimmers in the other 2 sessions. This could mean a couple hundred masters swimmers in the district, just a guess. My impression is that very few are USMS members. I asked a neighbor who has been a long time swimmer and he said while swim competition used to be big in this area, it has fallen off dramatically in recent years. That is not unique. As a long time runner I have noted, from actual results listings, that race entries have fallen off a bit there too, but not as much.
  • There are 10 YMCA pools within an hour of me and each one has masters team practices, but there is no coordination between them. At mine, there are 3 sessions, 5:30 AM, Noon, and 7:00 PM with maybe 8-10 in each session, but I only go at noon and don't know any of the swimmers in the other 2 sessions. This could mean a couple hundred masters swimmers in the district, just a guess. My impression is that very few are USMS members. I asked a neighbor who has been a long time swimmer and he said while swim competition used to be big in this area, it has fallen off dramatically in recent years. That is not unique. As a long time runner I have noted, from actual results listings, that race entries have fallen off a bit there too, but not as much.
Children
No Data