Why are there very few Masters Swimmers under 40?

I was wondering why there are so few Masters Swimmers under 40. I've visited multiple swim clubs and noticed very few swimmers under 40.
  • I was wondering why there are so few Masters Swimmers under 40. I've visited multiple swim clubs and noticed very few swimmers under 40. They're busy at home with small children
  • The club that practices at the pool at which I train solo seems to be at least 1/3 under 40. That said, I have also noted the ages of the better performing open water swimmers trends older. At 47, I find myself often besting the times of all of the 20 and 30-somethings, but struggling to place in brackets over 40. My theory is that former age groupers leave swimming, and if they do come back it isn't until they are older, and it is on their terms. I left swimming (though I played some water polo and did some minimal pure swimming exercise only) after high school and didn't come back until I was 35.
  • "They're busy at home with small children" Never thought of it, but so true. I am 't think about swimming until I decided I was done having kids. Also, I only had time for masters swimming once they were able to sleep through the night. "That said, I have also noted the ages of the better performing open water swimmers trends older." Also something I've noticed. In my masters team, the ones 50
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I am one of the few.I am 38 and start swimming on Masters events around 30...At Germany my age group is very strong and there are some former Champions and Olympian like Stev Theloke..but you are right, there are more Mastersswimmers in the the age group 40, 45 and 50...I think one the reason is, if people retire around 25 or even 30 very few continue swimming at Masters.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    There are a a few clubs where I live that are probably 50% under 40. My club practices 9 to 10pm which is good for a parent as I can put my daughter to bed at 8:30 and then go swim.
  • I'm 28 and just started back up in the water beginning of September, so I think I can speak firsthand to this. Seconded (or thirded, or fourthed) on the kids thing. I am not there yet so that's not one I can talk about firsthand. But also, lot of folks that swam for years and years through college may just need a break, or some of them might just be done with the sport completely. I know several on my college team that were practically counting down the days until their last conference or nationals - sad that you'd dedicate so much of your time to something you didn't like to do, but that's the reality for some people. I was as gung ho about the sport as anyone through college, but I surprised myself after my senior year with how ready I was for a break and a change of pace for a bit. For people that never swam competitively at all, swimming is a sport with a big learning curve. It's hard to learn to move in the water naturally - to move with the water instead of fighting it. It might be stereotypical to say, but younger people are typically less willing to expose themselves to that kind of vulnerability, especially in a public forum like a Masters team.
  • My club practices 9 to 10pm This is pretty cool and it seems like there would be more practices held at this time. It seems like the vast majority of masters workouts are either early in the morning or late afternoon--when most people are getting off work.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    You're right! I was part of a competition last week (my first one as master), and I realized that most of the swimmers where over 40! In my case, it's difficult to find people from my age (25-30) because lot of them are still studying. At least, that is what I think.
  • KIDS!!! They're up at 6 and have to go to bed by 7 or 8. Until they get to they get to be much more self sufficient, leaving the house before or after work for an adult activity is next to impossible even in two parent households. By the time the kids are in bed and one parent can be free, all the pools are closed. I just added a mid-morning workout group (9:30-10:30 AM) to my team to counteract this. I specifically planned it during hours the child-watch program is open. This allows parents of non-school aged children, who are home with them, a chance to get out and swim. Interestingly, it seems to be collecting another demographic I wasn't expecting: Undergrad & Graduate Students who happen to have that block free from classes. We're not "right next to" any campus, although the 5 college area is within 20-30 minutes, depending on the school, and there's a community college about 10 minutes away.
  • Because swimming is one of the few really ideal activities for people as they age. And more people as they get older want to stay fit, so even if you weren't a swimmer in high school or college you might discover it's a way to maintain health and fitness without impacting your joints. It's also an ideal exercise for folks with arthritis, which creeps up on you with age.