Why are there very few Masters Swimmers under 40?

I was wondering why there are so few Masters Swimmers under 40. I've visited multiple swim clubs and noticed very few swimmers under 40.
Parents
  • But also, lot of folks that swam for years and years through college may just need a break, ... sad that you'd dedicate so much of your time to something you didn't like to do... Being a swimmer and a student was my self identity for many, many years. Once senior year of college rolled around, the light at the end of the tunnel meant that everything was about to change. Student became professional, and frankly, I was completely burned out from swimming. After several years, I tried hitting a lap swim here and there, but just couldn't get into a routine as my children were small, and my sleep schedule wasn't conducive to early morning or even late evening workouts. After 17 years out of the competitive pool, I got the itch to return, and my kids and home life were at a stage that I could commit to a swim schedule. I would venture to say that my situation is fairly common and that is why you don't see too many folks under 35 in Masters.
  • But also, lot of folks that swam for years and years through college may just need a break, ... sad that you'd dedicate so much of your time to something you didn't like to do... Being a swimmer and a student was my self identity for many, many years. Once senior year of college rolled around, the light at the end of the tunnel meant that everything was about to change. Student became professional, and frankly, I was completely burned out from swimming. After several years, I tried hitting a lap swim here and there, but just couldn't get into a routine as my children were small, and my sleep schedule wasn't conducive to early morning or even late evening workouts. After 17 years out of the competitive pool, I got the itch to return, and my kids and home life were at a stage that I could commit to a swim schedule. I would venture to say that my situation is fairly common and that is why you don't see too many folks under 35 in Masters.
Children
No Data