Why are there very few Masters Swimmers under 40?

I was wondering why there are so few Masters Swimmers under 40. I've visited multiple swim clubs and noticed very few swimmers under 40.
Parents
  • I agree that scheduling constraints of young families are a big factor keeping the 30 somethings away. The combination of inconvenient practice times for both Masters and open lap swim as well as the commuting time to the only indoor pool in town made swimming impractical for years. Other forms of exercise were much more convenient. We do see a decent number of single 20 somethings at our pool. The other factor I have noticed is that a number of middle aged people take up or resume swimming as they age due to joint issues and injuries that interfere with running.
  • I agree that scheduling constraints of young families are a big factor keeping the 30 somethings away. The combination of inconvenient practice times for both Masters and open lap swim as well as the commuting time to the only indoor pool in town made swimming impractical for years. Other forms of exercise were much more convenient. We do see a decent number of single 20 somethings at our pool. The other factor I have noticed is that a number of middle aged people take up or resume swimming as they age due to joint issues and injuries that interfere with running.
Children
No Data