Why are there very few Masters Swimmers under 40?

I was wondering why there are so few Masters Swimmers under 40. I've visited multiple swim clubs and noticed very few swimmers under 40.
Parents
  • The club that practices at the pool at which I train solo seems to be at least 1/3 under 40. That said, I have also noted the ages of the better performing open water swimmers trends older. At 47, I find myself often besting the times of all of the 20 and 30-somethings, but struggling to place in brackets over 40. My theory is that former age groupers leave swimming, and if they do come back it isn't until they are older, and it is on their terms. I left swimming (though I played some water polo and did some minimal pure swimming exercise only) after high school and didn't come back until I was 35.
  • The club that practices at the pool at which I train solo seems to be at least 1/3 under 40. That said, I have also noted the ages of the better performing open water swimmers trends older. At 47, I find myself often besting the times of all of the 20 and 30-somethings, but struggling to place in brackets over 40. My theory is that former age groupers leave swimming, and if they do come back it isn't until they are older, and it is on their terms. I left swimming (though I played some water polo and did some minimal pure swimming exercise only) after high school and didn't come back until I was 35.
Children
No Data