lower back

Former Member
Former Member
Hello , Just wanted to share my story and get some advice/suggestions from you all ... I have a lower back(left) pain since a year and a little over a month got into water and its been awesome feeling since then .. if I skip swim then I feel miserable and the pain comes back. I started with gasping for breath at the end of 25 m pool and would be out of the pool by 150 m in the first week and then gradually it moved to 300 ( Wonder how some of you keep track of the laps , I started with Monday -breakfast done , lunch done , dinner done over for marking as 300 m done ) and these days i can go upto 750m with a three breaks. At the end of 700 I don't feel like stopping and want to keep going , but fear that I might be over doing and might burn out of this so I "treat" myself with another 50 m and get out of the pool and can feel the body buring hot on the skin( i swim in an indoor pool ) . I am 40 and all day i sit on a desk doing computer stuff for work .. and go swim after work .... I swim freestyle .. Any suggestions how to keep this going and not burn out and better on this .. I am learning on youtube the techniques to swim better and implement one at a time everyday .... I am in Prague, CZ. Thanks a tonn , Cheers Umesh
Parents
  • I have a condition called "spondylolisthesis". That is where the vertebrae shift relative to one another. The offset between two of them pinched the sciatic nerve in the back and I got terrible pain from the hip, down the leg, and all the way to the ankle. It was caused by arthritis eroding the spinal bone, I am 69 now, but it developed slowly over several years. I always thought it was a hip injury from running since I was primarily a runner for 40 years. About a year ago the pain became so intense I was incapacitated for weeks. I had to use a walker or cane to move around. I went to 3 different doctors and 2 physical therapists. They all said the same thing. Your running days are over, stop running! But you can swim. Swimming is great for it. I can now walk and swim and cycle with no pain, as long as I do not run. I have since done a 1 mile open water swim, two indoor swim meets and even a sprint triathlon where I walked the 5Km. I was not new to swimming since I had worked as a lifeguard when I was young and swam laps off and on to supplement my running training. I could do probably 200 meters the first time in the pool after the injury. I swam 3 days a week and increased the distance a little each week until I could do about 1500m non-stop. I swim mostly front crawl, but do fairly well for short distances in backstroke and *** stroke. I cannot do butterfly. None of it gives me any back pain. BTW, I use a Swimovate Poolmate watch to count my laps. It records time, laps, strokes, efficiency, etc. It doesn't do much more than record time in open water.
  • I have a condition called "spondylolisthesis". That is where the vertebrae shift relative to one another. The offset between two of them pinched the sciatic nerve in the back and I got terrible pain from the hip, down the leg, and all the way to the ankle. It was caused by arthritis eroding the spinal bone, I am 69 now, but it developed slowly over several years. I always thought it was a hip injury from running since I was primarily a runner for 40 years. About a year ago the pain became so intense I was incapacitated for weeks. I had to use a walker or cane to move around. I went to 3 different doctors and 2 physical therapists. They all said the same thing. Your running days are over, stop running! But you can swim. Swimming is great for it. I can now walk and swim and cycle with no pain, as long as I do not run. I have since done a 1 mile open water swim, two indoor swim meets and even a sprint triathlon where I walked the 5Km. I was not new to swimming since I had worked as a lifeguard when I was young and swam laps off and on to supplement my running training. I could do probably 200 meters the first time in the pool after the injury. I swam 3 days a week and increased the distance a little each week until I could do about 1500m non-stop. I swim mostly front crawl, but do fairly well for short distances in backstroke and *** stroke. I cannot do butterfly. None of it gives me any back pain. BTW, I use a Swimovate Poolmate watch to count my laps. It records time, laps, strokes, efficiency, etc. It doesn't do much more than record time in open water.
Children
No Data