Breastsroke technique of my 11 year old daughter.Any tips??

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, my daughter is 11 years old and she has been swimming for 3 years now.She prefers competing in breaststroke and her recent timing is as follows: 50m - 46.31 sec 100m - 1min 39 sec 200m - 2min 29 sec A new coach came to our club 6 months ago and altered her technique, so she is now a little confused and hasn't since improved her times. I am looking for some feedback on her stroke.So i am linking two clips of her racing the 200m and the 50m both in lane 8 (closer to the camera). Any help is welcomed !!! https://youtu.be/CAh0lSycm7Q
Parents
  • FWIW, you posted the same link twice, so we can only see the 50. I agree with Alan that there's a lot of overlap between the kick and pull. She never gets to streamline. In breaststroke, the kick should provide more propulsion than the pull. Starting the pull while you are still accelerating from the kick generally adds more drag than additional propulsion. For me, breaststroke is 4 distinct phases: pull, **** (cocking your legs for the kick, like cocking a gun), kick (into a streamline position), and glide. On a sprint, you don't want to over-glide, but you don't want to hurry the stroke so much you're wasting some of your kick power. That's what it looks to me like your daughter is doing.
  • FWIW, you posted the same link twice, so we can only see the 50. I agree with Alan that there's a lot of overlap between the kick and pull. She never gets to streamline. In breaststroke, the kick should provide more propulsion than the pull. Starting the pull while you are still accelerating from the kick generally adds more drag than additional propulsion. For me, breaststroke is 4 distinct phases: pull, **** (cocking your legs for the kick, like cocking a gun), kick (into a streamline position), and glide. On a sprint, you don't want to over-glide, but you don't want to hurry the stroke so much you're wasting some of your kick power. That's what it looks to me like your daughter is doing.
Children
No Data