Breastsroke technique of my 11 year old daughter.Any tips??

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, my daughter is 11 years old and she has been swimming for 3 years now.She prefers competing in breaststroke and her recent timing is as follows: 50m - 46.31 sec 100m - 1min 39 sec 200m - 2min 29 sec A new coach came to our club 6 months ago and altered her technique, so she is now a little confused and hasn't since improved her times. I am looking for some feedback on her stroke.So i am linking two clips of her racing the 200m and the 50m both in lane 8 (closer to the camera). Any help is welcomed !!! https://youtu.be/CAh0lSycm7Q
  • I was only able to see the 50 and it was pretty dark. The only thing I saw for sure is that she is recovering her legs by bending at the hips as well as the knees. This greatly increases drag. I think she is overlapping the pull and the kick by starting the pull before the kick is completed. This is common in sprints, but also increases drag. She may be recovering her hands pointing down a little instead of shooting straight forward. Again, I can't see it well enough to be sure
  • FWIW, you posted the same link twice, so we can only see the 50. I agree with Alan that there's a lot of overlap between the kick and pull. She never gets to streamline. In breaststroke, the kick should provide more propulsion than the pull. Starting the pull while you are still accelerating from the kick generally adds more drag than additional propulsion. For me, breaststroke is 4 distinct phases: pull, **** (cocking your legs for the kick, like cocking a gun), kick (into a streamline position), and glide. On a sprint, you don't want to over-glide, but you don't want to hurry the stroke so much you're wasting some of your kick power. That's what it looks to me like your daughter is doing.
  • Her starting the pull too soon is really hurting her in the 200. She seemed to get very tired because she took way too many strokes. Mechanically her kick looks good, so she could really "ride the glide" if she delayed her pull and stayed in streamline after the kick longer.I'd recommend she does some drills where she counts to 2, or even 3 after the kick before the pull. Also,she does not do a pullout off the start and turns and I wonder if that is really faster for her. Regarding the pull,she is leading with her elbows, she needs to keep her elbows near the surface with her hands going deeper, kind of like EVF for freestyle, but a little wider.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Yes you are right!! The video was not clear and i did not attach the second clip.... Here it is https://youtu.be/CAh0lSycm7Q Please also have a look at her 200m race...She is racing again in lane 8 (closer to the camera).
  • The 2-3 second drill should help all distances.You want to get completely into streamline at the end of every kick. In the 200 there would be some glide then,in the 50 no glide before the pull,but she would be better with a little glide than the overlap. She could do 3 sec glide for 3 strokes, then 2 sec glide, then 1 sec, then slight hesitation then no hesitation and see how that feels. For the pull, does she know what EVF feels like in freestyle? If so, have her try to mimic that movement in BR. If not, have the coach work with her on EVF(it will help her fly and free too.) A drill is BR pull with a snorkel so she can watch her arms and see her elbows.
  • Former Member
    I don't believe i posted the same video.Please excuse me ..I think i got it right this time https://youtu.be/8BRLEZ1inpg Do you think that she also doesn't pull enough because of her hands position during the stroke?
  • Former Member
    I see what you mean Allen and Gary about the overlap between her kick and pull.... The counting to 2 or 3 will certainly help her as you suggest Allen in the 200m.Do you think that this drill is suitable for the 50m as well or she should try something else for the sprint? Also if i understand you correctly she should try to keep the elbows to the surface and mainly lead with the hands to a wider circle that she does? What drills do you you think can help her improve that pull? And certainly you are right about the pullouts ...she does not put any strength to them.
  • Former Member
    Thank you for all of your recommendations .You were very helpful...I explained to her all of your tips and she is optimistic that she will get it right eventually !!!