Bucket vs Crossover Turn

Former Member
Former Member
Which do you all prefer using for back to ***, and why?
  • Although I have used the bucket turn in the past, I've had some back problems in recent years that have gone back to doing basic open turns most of the time. I'm intrigued by the crossover turn, but haven't really worked on it in practice. That being said, working as an official in AG events, I've seen quite a few DQ's due to kids rolling their shoulders past vertical and not making a legal backstroke touch. Mark
  • Most of us older swimmers probably learned bucket turns although I think I remember first learning a basic bk spin (open) turn as an AGer back in the late 50s and early 60s. I remember when we converted to bucket turns (throw your feet over your shoulder, spin and push-off (I think). I've long since converted to a crossover turn, not sure I could even do a good bucket turn anymore. Lately I've struggled a bit air and snorting water up my nose just before the break-out from a crossover turn. In general, the crossover seems so much more fluid, faster, and puts one in position for udks.
  • Which do you all prefer using for back to ***, and why?I've only mastered the crossover turn on one arm (right arm touch), so will do a bucket turn whenever I'm approaching with my left arm. When I have the option, though, it varies by distance Bucket on the 400 IM - I need the air more than the speed at that point in the race Crossover on the 100 IM - I have so little natural speed, I'll grab whatever advantage I can 200 IM is all situational, but more often the crossover turn