Warm downs during meets

After my last meet, my coach told me to cool down/warm down, otherwise I was going to get sore the next day. I did a 25y double arm back and got out of the pool. Next day, I didn't feel sore at all. I know the warm downs are good anyways for recovery, but how much of a warm down should I be doing? I would typically do 50y, 100y and 200y free events, and I'm always on the first heat (super slow swimmer here!). Would you recommend warming down in between events, if time permits? What type of warm downs do you usually do?
  • I'd recommend at least a five minute warm down after every event. Perhaps more if your heart rate is still elevated. Just swim continuously, but very easy.
  • in '83 and more so in '84 that little club team i was on (MVN) did a study for the USOC/USA-S and UCI on lactic acid buildup and recovery using blood samples taken right there in the pool. as i type this my finger tips still feel the pain from the "gun" used to *** them sometimes we would just squeeze our finger tip really hard and reopen the hole (instead of getting stuck again) from 200m before. our tests showed that in extremely well trained and highly conditioned swimmers (all under age 25) that at the minimum a good 5mins of continuious warmdown was needed to start flushing lactic acid. later that year as part of the USA JR team, i did another set of tests (identical as those before) in the absolutely yucky weather of Long Beach in a 50m outdoor pool the week of Thanksgiving. staying on the ship hotel Queen Mary was kinda cool though. not having the annual USA/USSR JR dual meet totally sucked though. usa boycot of '80 and ussr boycot of '84 ruined it
  • in '83 and more so in '84 that little club team i was on (MVN) did a study for the USOC/USA-S and UCI on lactic acid buildup and recovery using blood samples taken right there in the pool. as i type this my finger tips still feel the pain from the "gun" used to *** them I can relate. We used to do lactate testing on my college team. Ouch!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I swim 6-8 x100 easy between events. We were in a study when I was in university and we worked on a protocol. Ideal was 6x200 easy witb #3/4 being a touch faster. Still follow that pattern today.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    thank you guys very much for suggestions, I really appreciate it a lot, I mean, I've found some useful info. my couch is out of town and he's gonna return late April... decided to get in touch with someone who's still swimming here :D btw, i just started to take Omnitrope HGH, is here someone else who does?
  • As above, it works some of the lactic acid out of the muscles. Yes, you will feel better, maybe not 100% of compared to doing nothing as to race speed or a really hard workout.