Is too much fist drill bad?

Seeking your collective wisdom. I have some shoulder pain. It's not serious but want to keep it that way. Fist drill and *** stroke do not bother it. If i just do fist for all freestyle, could i end up developing some bad habits or could this actually help correct my stroke?
  • My experience with doing fist drill to rest a sore shoulder has been only positive. It is great for feel of the water with the forearm for EVF.
  • Thanks! This gives me some confidence that i can come out better on the other end of this.
  • It might be a good idea to get your stroke analyzed by a coach who specializes in stroke technique. You might even post a video of your stroke onto the forum here to get some feedback from others. While the fist drill may provide temporary relief, you are not determining the root cause of the problem. Fist drill is a drill, not the solution to your problem. Once you determine the cause of your shoulder pain, whether it is an issue with your recovery, your pull, etc., you can work on a variety of drills (not just one), that will assist with correcting your stroke. Good luck!
  • Drills are meant to be used for a short term so as to allow you a better feel of the full stroke.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    When our masters team was active, the coach would occasionally have us doing repeats of 100's or 75's of fist drill swimming. I despised it but the regular freestyle set that followed always made it worthwhile as my catch was substantially improved and you feel like you're really grabbing some water. Get well soon!