Why do I feel so squeezed when I swim?

Former Member
Former Member
I've always had this experience when swimming, where my lungs feel SUPER compressed and I get out of breath easily. What I'm wondering is, is this me being out of shape or is it common to feel this way? YANMD. I'm just curious about other people's experiences.
  • Kind of hard to give you an answer with what little info you gave us. Tell us a little bit about your level of fitness. Are you generally in good shape? Do you participate in other aerobic activities? Are you a capable and efficient swimmer? How often, and how far do you swim? Dan
  • could it be because you are holding in your breath and not exhaling when your face is in the water? It's what I learnt for scuba diving, never hold your breath.
  • Tell the lane mate who is hugging you and wrapped their arms and legs around you tightly to cut it out and let you swim. I've always had this experience when swimming, where my lungs feel SUPER compressed and I get out of breath easily. What I'm wondering is, is this me being out of shape or is it common to feel this way? YANMD. I'm just curious about other people's experiences.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I feel it too right when I jump in the water, but it lasts not too long, I get used to it quickly :)
  • Unless you are holding your breath while swimming or swimming in water so cold it "takes your breath away", that sounds like something you should get checked out by your doctor. Or, in jest, stop wearing a female tech suit for practice. Those will do it every time.