Tapering too early?

Former Member
Former Member
We had our championship meet this past weekend, and I had to swim against people I have been racing all season in the 200 free. I normally win the race every time. One person blew me out of the water by 4 seconds this weekend, getting a personal best time (she actually shaved 7 seconds off her time), while I did my normal time. I am just getting very down on myself, as my times have been pretty consistent all season (dropping some time some meets, and/or doing my normal times), and we had a few kids who really made huge time drops at this meet, and wondering why I didn't. I never miss practice, and I do every set as the coach directs us to do. We didn't even start our taper until yesterday. If the kids that put out these huge time drops are kids that have been missing practices the last several weeks, don't always do the whole sets or make the times the coach is asking us do to on the sets, is it possible they may already have tapered some? I will have to swim these kids again in two weeks, and I am really hoping I see the time drops that they have already seen.
Parents
  • If you just started your taper, it makes total sense that you swam the same times in the championship meet. So, DON'T get down on yourself. As Mark stated above, some of the other swimmers may have already tapered and based on the time drops I'd say that's a good bet. It sounds like you've definitely done the work so now it's time to trust in your coach and your taper. Part of taper is the mental part. You have to trust and you have to BELIEVE. Be confident, visualize your races and know the time drops are coming. Also, every taper is an opportunity to learn for the next taper. If you have to, take notes on how you feel (throughout the entire taper and even 2 weeks after). If you have a boatload of energy early or after then you can tweak your taper the next time. It's all about finding what works for you. One way to measure it is vertical jumping. Do a couple of jumps each day and continue them after your taper is complete. If you best jumps are early you might adjust your taper to be a few days less. If your jumps are best late, you'd want to extend your taper a few days longer. Taper and learn. Be confident and Good Luck!
  • If you just started your taper, it makes total sense that you swam the same times in the championship meet. So, DON'T get down on yourself. As Mark stated above, some of the other swimmers may have already tapered and based on the time drops I'd say that's a good bet. It sounds like you've definitely done the work so now it's time to trust in your coach and your taper. Part of taper is the mental part. You have to trust and you have to BELIEVE. Be confident, visualize your races and know the time drops are coming. Also, every taper is an opportunity to learn for the next taper. If you have to, take notes on how you feel (throughout the entire taper and even 2 weeks after). If you have a boatload of energy early or after then you can tweak your taper the next time. It's all about finding what works for you. One way to measure it is vertical jumping. Do a couple of jumps each day and continue them after your taper is complete. If you best jumps are early you might adjust your taper to be a few days less. If your jumps are best late, you'd want to extend your taper a few days longer. Taper and learn. Be confident and Good Luck!
Children
No Data