Tapering too early?

Former Member
Former Member
We had our championship meet this past weekend, and I had to swim against people I have been racing all season in the 200 free. I normally win the race every time. One person blew me out of the water by 4 seconds this weekend, getting a personal best time (she actually shaved 7 seconds off her time), while I did my normal time. I am just getting very down on myself, as my times have been pretty consistent all season (dropping some time some meets, and/or doing my normal times), and we had a few kids who really made huge time drops at this meet, and wondering why I didn't. I never miss practice, and I do every set as the coach directs us to do. We didn't even start our taper until yesterday. If the kids that put out these huge time drops are kids that have been missing practices the last several weeks, don't always do the whole sets or make the times the coach is asking us do to on the sets, is it possible they may already have tapered some? I will have to swim these kids again in two weeks, and I am really hoping I see the time drops that they have already seen.
  • It's possible they had an earlier taper or it's possible that you have hit a plateau that lasts a bit longer than the others you are swimming against. A seven second improvement is massive in swimming and if you are young, it may be a matter of growth, rest, taper, or all the above. As you said above, you are dropping time some meets and not others. I was always the one behind the rest dropping times when I was young, but usually caught up. I never blew anyone out of the water because of it, but you can bet I got my chance to beat them in a few races when my times came down. Hang in there.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Thank you! I am 16 and those with the huge time drops are either same age as me, or 17. I am hoping I get the chance to beat them at our high school district meet next week. I have been happy with most all of my swims this season, but when I see these huge time drops from other people, and not myself, it messes with my head.
  • If you just started your taper, it makes total sense that you swam the same times in the championship meet. So, DON'T get down on yourself. As Mark stated above, some of the other swimmers may have already tapered and based on the time drops I'd say that's a good bet. It sounds like you've definitely done the work so now it's time to trust in your coach and your taper. Part of taper is the mental part. You have to trust and you have to BELIEVE. Be confident, visualize your races and know the time drops are coming. Also, every taper is an opportunity to learn for the next taper. If you have to, take notes on how you feel (throughout the entire taper and even 2 weeks after). If you have a boatload of energy early or after then you can tweak your taper the next time. It's all about finding what works for you. One way to measure it is vertical jumping. Do a couple of jumps each day and continue them after your taper is complete. If you best jumps are early you might adjust your taper to be a few days less. If your jumps are best late, you'd want to extend your taper a few days longer. Taper and learn. Be confident and Good Luck!
  • The bottom line is you can only affect your own performance. I know it's frustrating when you get beat by someone who you feel hasn't put in as much effort as you have, but it happens. Trust in your taper and your performance and prepare yourself to swim the best YOU can!
  • Napping is also a great recovery. The day before and race days try to stay off your feet as much as possible. Elevate your legs on a bench or lay flat. The more you can stay off your legs the longer they'll last.
  • Former Member
    Thank you all so much. I am one week in with my taper. I am feeling ok, but seem to be napping more than usual! This is something I don't remember doing last year during my taper! I am feeling a little more confident and feel strong in the water right now. I am visualizing my races, taking notes on how I feel. I have two big meets coming up. High School districts this coming weekend, and then Y districts the week after that. Fingers crossed all will go well, and I will hit my end of season goals!
  • Former Member
    I just found out I am only 3/10 of a second behind the first seed at high school districts in the 100 ***! *** stroke is my main stroke, with freestyle being next. I am so nervous as we always swim schools where one certain school always gets all the first places, and I may actually have a shot at getting a first place and go to states. Our HS hasn't sent anyone to states in probably 10 years or so. I only swim one event tomorrow, which is the 200 free relay, and I go first. Then, Saturday, I swim the 500 free, the 100 *** and anchor on the 400 free relay. The person I swim against in the 100 *** ONLY swims the 100 *** on Saturday, so that makes me more worried!!! My nerves just won't stop. One day I feel amazing, the next day I feel awful!!