Getting Your Spouse/ Partner Involved In Your Swimming

Would you like to get your spouse or partner involved in your world of swimming? Here's an article I wrote on the subject for Swimspire: www.swimspire.com/.../ How do you get your spouse or partner involved? Share your tips here! To all of you love birds out there, have a happy Valentine's Day! :kiss1:
Parents
  • As much as I love my wife, I don't think I want her to be part of my swimming. We've been married for 25 years this year, and I was swimming long before I met her. It's one of 'my things' where I can go off and contemplate and compartmentalize things. She's not really into fitness at all, and probably wouldn't care at all if I just stopped it all (swimming, running, and cycling). Early on when I did try to get her involved...it turned into a disagreement of her thinking I was just trying to show her up. So I stopped that. And honestly I can safely say that now she would likely detests being poolside...as would I. Our 21 year old daughter was on her h.s. swim team. I didn't swim in h.s., nor have ever been on a coached team (other than Masters recently). I had never experienced a h.s. swim meet. The wife and I were excited for daughter's first meet...and then abruptly discouraged after attending it. We discovered that attending indoor swim meets are probably the worst spectator sport there can be. In every pool the smell of chlorine was overcoming, the temperature was way too high for those of us up in the stands fully clothed, the sound of all the screaming was deafening, the mercury lights sometimes blinding -- the heat, the smell, the sound, and the light often combined for a good headache by the time the meet was finished. On top of all that...here in RI there is never a scoreboard. So all through the meet no one in the stands has any idea what the score is. And so...I wouldn't want to put wifey through all that just to count laps, time, or take video. But...if...IF she just came to me and asked to be part of it...that would be great. Dan
  • As much as I love my wife, I don't think I want her to be part of my swimming. We've been married for 25 years this year, and I was swimming long before I met her. It's one of 'my things' where I can go off and contemplate and compartmentalize things. She's not really into fitness at all, and probably wouldn't care at all if I just stopped it all (swimming, running, and cycling). Early on when I did try to get her involved...it turned into a disagreement of her thinking I was just trying to show her up. So I stopped that. And honestly I can safely say that now she would likely detests being poolside...as would I. Our 21 year old daughter was on her h.s. swim team. I didn't swim in h.s., nor have ever been on a coached team (other than Masters recently). I had never experienced a h.s. swim meet. The wife and I were excited for daughter's first meet...and then abruptly discouraged after attending it. We discovered that attending indoor swim meets are probably the worst spectator sport there can be. In every pool the smell of chlorine was overcoming, the temperature was way too high for those of us up in the stands fully clothed, the sound of all the screaming was deafening, the mercury lights sometimes blinding -- the heat, the smell, the sound, and the light often combined for a good headache by the time the meet was finished. On top of all that...here in RI there is never a scoreboard. So all through the meet no one in the stands has any idea what the score is. And so...I wouldn't want to put wifey through all that just to count laps, time, or take video. But...if...IF she just came to me and asked to be part of it...that would be great. Dan
Children
No Data