Kid is going to quit.

Anyone have a kid who quit at 15?
  • My own kids were never really very competitive in their respective sports (swimming and hockey). They picked up whatever sports on their own and we're never forced to play (my only requirement of them was that if they wanted to go out for 'whatever' sport...that if they began the season, they finished the season, and attended all practices and games...barring illness/injury). But, I've seen some of their friends just quit (various sports) cold turkey at around that age. In some cases they were kids that had great potential, and the possibility of earning at least a college scholarship. But it became 'not fun' for those kids because they were participating year-round. Sometimes in multiple sports. They never had an off-season. In most cases, not all, the parents pushed to kid to compete at the highest, most intense level for their age-group to the point that is wasn't fun for the kid anymore. I coached a couple of youth sports teams when my kids were in grade school. I could usually tell which kids would give it up by high school. Not because of what the kids did or said. But what the parents did and said. They were the parents who 'made' their kids play; who would say things like "Oh, my kid will earn a scholarship." And then when the kid gives it up the parents are surprised. At that point the parent usually says "My kid always told me how much they enjoyed playing." But in reality that was just the kid trying to make the parent happy. Eventually the kid would let their real feelings known. Dan
  • I know a kid who quit club swimming in high school in favor of participating in other activities, but continued to swim during high school season only. It was a good choice for him, and will be swimming in college next year.
  • Anyone have a kid who quit at 15? Not personally but as a coach this is the witching age.
  • When I was 16, I was invited to join a swim team. My parents and I didn't think that I would be good enough for competitive swimming, so we said no. I had completely stopped swimming then, focused on school and only started swimming again last year. That's a gap of 20+ years.
  • All interesting. Thanks. We never put pressure on our son and to be honest never swam more than three times a week. He started 9th grade and we skipped varsity for him to focus on school which I think was right decision. Since school started he only swims once a week club. He does not want to go to practice or meets any more. Seems he lost some interest from what I think is a lack of swimming. The club's head coach left and a few of his teammates, so there seem to be a lot of factors. Trying to keep it all together somehow!
  • I quit when I was 15 in order to play football, wrestle and run track in high school. I wanted to do other things, plus at that age being on the football team was a bigger deal socially than swimming. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have stuck with swimming, but you really can't 2nd guess those things. Learning to make your own decisions (and living with the consequences) is part of growing up.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Anyone have a kid who quit at 15? My kids are younger than that, but in competing in masters as well as amongst clubs in USS I have seen my fair share of kids quit.. I've seen even more kids more or less forced to stay in swimming when they didn't like it. It leads to lack of effort and generally getting burned out but the time high school is over. The number of college teammates I had that quit in their prime was staggering, because they were forced to keep going. It's not for everyone, so maybe let them choose an alternative activity. If the love for the sport is there they will find their way back.
  • I don't know if many USAS clubs do this type of group, but I think it was a win-win: club got continued revenue and kids didn't drop out. Mine does and I agree with your assessment. Not every kid wants the full commitment that swimming often entails.
  • My son quit year-round swimming at 15. He was moved up to the morning practices and it was either wake up before 4am every morning, or swim with younger/slower people, or quit. He tried AM practices over the summer at a more reasonable hour (6am) and didn't like it, so he quit. He still swam for his HS team though; the last meet of his HS career is this weekend, as a matter of fact. He also still likes summer league swimming and will probably do that too, if his summer job schedule permits it.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I coach for a different team than my sons, so I see all levels of commitment for lots of reasons, so I get it. Of course I wish he was excited about swimming. I gotta see what the summer brings and then if I can get him interested in trying varsity and hope that sets a hook. It is a tricky age right now.