First meet

Just back from my first ever swim meet. Swam the 50y & 200y free. The best I ever did in training for 50y was 54 sec., today 51.91. I swam the 200 at my everyday pace not wanting to stress myself, 4:27.43. I've never done a 200 even in practice except on the way to 500 or 1000. I was happy with that and was probably even first in my AG since I saw no other 65-69 in that event. Also met a couple other first timers there, one of whom had only learned to swim a year ago. It was also the first time I ever got the chance to dive off a starting block. None of the facilities I go to will allow it, so I just did a few practice dives but dove in from the deck in the races. I'll be 69 next Sunday, so I want to do the epostal hour swim for the occasion. Next pool meet is Mar 5 in Southern Saratoga County. Waiting to hear from ssumargo next.
  • :applaud:Way to go, Sumo! Now you have a baseline and know what you can do. Keep striving to improve!
  • Awesome, and it sounds like you're hooked!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Just back from my first ever swim meet. Swam the 50y & 200y free. The best I ever did in training for 50y was 54 sec., today 51.91. I swam the 200 at my everyday pace not wanting to stress myself, 4:27.43. I've never done a 200 even in practice except on the way to 500 or 1000. I was happy with that and was probably even first in my AG since I saw no other 65-69 in that event. Also met a couple other first timers there, one of whom had only learned to swim a year ago. It was also the first time I ever got the chance to dive off a starting block. None of the facilities I go to will allow it, so I just did a few practice dives but dove in from the deck in the races. I'll be 69 next Sunday, so I want to do the epostal hour swim for the occasion. Next pool meet is Mar 5 in Southern Saratoga County. Waiting to hear from ssumargo next. Great! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ahhhhh!! congrats! I have not signed up for the meet (yet). I have a couple more weeks to think about it. I've been making up excuses to justify why I shouldn't go. But this is so amazing! I've been checking the forums religiously for your post. You make it sound so much fun and easy. I've been thinking of doing the epostal as well, but I can't find anyone that could enter the gym and count/time my laps.
  • It sounds as if you had a good time and good times. Keep at it . Congrats. You are a Masters swimmer!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Just back from my first ever swim meet. Swam the 50y & 200y free. The best I ever did in training for 50y was 54 sec., today 51.91. I swam the 200 at my everyday pace not wanting to stress myself, 4:27.43. I've never done a 200 even in practice except on the way to 500 or 1000. I was happy with that and was probably even first in my AG since I saw no other 65-69 in that event. Also met a couple other first timers there, one of whom had only learned to swim a year ago. It was also the first time I ever got the chance to dive off a starting block. None of the facilities I go to will allow it, so I just did a few practice dives but dove in from the deck in the races. I'll be 69 next Sunday, so I want to do the epostal hour swim for the occasion. Next pool meet is Mar 5 in Southern Saratoga County. Waiting to hear from ssumargo next. Yes, I just did a senior Olympics meet and the best 50 yard *** in practice with the pace clock was 54 and in the race I did 51.21 and I did a 1:48.53 in 100 yard ***. Pratice I think the best was between 1:55 to 1:57. So, you did well. I don't compared the times I did at age 45 which were 42.5 in 50 yard *** and 1:34 in 100 yard ***. Just have to go with my body now but are doing well for your age.
  • Q: How long does it generally take to see results from a meet posted? I'm accustomed to running races and seeing results online almost immediately. I've directed a few road races myself and strove to get them uploaded the same day. Oh sure, 25 years ago before everyone had internet connections and even those who did had to dial up, it would have taken a few days at most. But here I am a week from the last meet and have not seen official results posted. Is this normal.
  • Q: How long does it generally take to see results from a meet posted? I'm accustomed to running races and seeing results online almost immediately. I've directed a few road races myself and strove to get them uploaded the same day. Oh sure, 25 years ago before everyone had internet connections and even those who did had to dial up, it would have taken a few days at most. But here I am a week from the last meet and have not seen official results posted. Is this normal. For the meets that I have participated in, generally it took a week or two for the results to be posted. Some were posted the same day, however there was one meet that I did five years ago that was never posted. In a open water event that I swam in last summer those results were "live", as soon as I crossed the finish line a text was sent. Made my wife who was unable to attend very happy that I survived ;-) Similarly I too am waiting for the results from a meet that I swam in last weekend. If you look at the USMS meet results page it not only list the meet dates, but the submitted dates as well.