Leg Cramps

Former Member
Former Member
I'm in my early 70's and have been swimming since childhood. This year, for the first time ever, my legs have been cramping during workouts, usually after about a mile. I use fins. I imagine this is related to the aging process but maybe there are other factors. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Parents
  • I've recently started strenuous workouts again after a couple of decades away. I'm 58. I never got leg cramps before when doing 3,500 yard workouts several times a week. Now, pretty much every time I get into the mid 2,000s, I can feel the cramps starting. Doesn't matter if it's morning, afternoon, or evening. Doesn't matter how much fluid I take in before or during workout. I've tried Sport Beans, Nuun tablets in my water bottle, eating bananas before a workout. Nothing seems to work. What's different now, in addition to being 20 years older, is that the pool I'm swimming in is warmer (83-4 degrees. I'm going to try swimming in a cooler pool to see if it makes any difference). Also, I'm taking 10 mg. of Lipitor every other day, but I've had zero side effects from it in my normal course of activity. I've also looked at magnesium deficiency but haven't had a test for it. I would also note during the warmer weather, I've been biking a lot, including 50, 60 and 70 mile rides averaging 15-16 mph, and the only time I get cramps on the bike is if I've failed to take in enough liquid. Any ideas appreciated. I really want to progress and get back to those 3,500+ workouts.
  • I've recently started strenuous workouts again after a couple of decades away. I'm 58. I never got leg cramps before when doing 3,500 yard workouts several times a week. Now, pretty much every time I get into the mid 2,000s, I can feel the cramps starting. Doesn't matter if it's morning, afternoon, or evening. Doesn't matter how much fluid I take in before or during workout. I've tried Sport Beans, Nuun tablets in my water bottle, eating bananas before a workout. Nothing seems to work. What's different now, in addition to being 20 years older, is that the pool I'm swimming in is warmer (83-4 degrees. I'm going to try swimming in a cooler pool to see if it makes any difference). Also, I'm taking 10 mg. of Lipitor every other day, but I've had zero side effects from it in my normal course of activity. I've also looked at magnesium deficiency but haven't had a test for it. I would also note during the warmer weather, I've been biking a lot, including 50, 60 and 70 mile rides averaging 15-16 mph, and the only time I get cramps on the bike is if I've failed to take in enough liquid. Any ideas appreciated. I really want to progress and get back to those 3,500+ workouts.
Children
No Data