Thoughts on how much a 12 year old boy should swim

Former Member
Former Member
My son is twelve and I am a little concerned about his training. It's a lot of butterfly and a lot of distance. I have heard other coaches say that 12 year olds should focus on technique and fun. He loves swimming, he loves working hard (yes, he really does!), he loves doing butterfly. Example of his training this morning - 6x ( 2x100 fly, 100 back/*** - all on 1:30). His average time on the fly is 1:10. Is this too much? His goal is to win at least 8 golds at JO's and be in the Olympic trials in 2020. He swims 5-6 times per week. I am not sure if I should pull back a little. His coach (he was a bronze medalist in the Olympics) says my son's workout is nothing compared to his when he was young. Any thoughts on this?
Parents
  • I have heard other coaches say that 12 year olds should focus on technique and fun. He loves swimming, he loves working hard (yes, he really does!), he loves doing butterfly. I agree focus on fun and technique. If he loves it then he is having fun. Right? Is this too much? … His coach (he was a bronze medalist in the Olympics) says my son's workout is nothing compared to his when he was young. Any thoughts on this?You are blessed to have an Olympian for a coach. You will be much better served meeting with the coach and your son to set realistic short and long term goals. His goal is to win at least 8 golds at JO's and be in the Olympic trials in 2020.There were less than 100 male swimmers under 17 at the 2016 Olympic Trails, so this is a pretty tall order for your son. I suggest checking out the USA Swimming Swims system; it is a great resource to see how your son’s times stack up to others. The 2016 trials cut for the 100 fly was 54.79 (long course meters). There were five 16 year olds that made the qualifying time in the 100 and four in the 200, so it is possible, if a long shot.
  • I have heard other coaches say that 12 year olds should focus on technique and fun. He loves swimming, he loves working hard (yes, he really does!), he loves doing butterfly. I agree focus on fun and technique. If he loves it then he is having fun. Right? Is this too much? … His coach (he was a bronze medalist in the Olympics) says my son's workout is nothing compared to his when he was young. Any thoughts on this?You are blessed to have an Olympian for a coach. You will be much better served meeting with the coach and your son to set realistic short and long term goals. His goal is to win at least 8 golds at JO's and be in the Olympic trials in 2020.There were less than 100 male swimmers under 17 at the 2016 Olympic Trails, so this is a pretty tall order for your son. I suggest checking out the USA Swimming Swims system; it is a great resource to see how your son’s times stack up to others. The 2016 trials cut for the 100 fly was 54.79 (long course meters). There were five 16 year olds that made the qualifying time in the 100 and four in the 200, so it is possible, if a long shot.
Children
No Data