Do you have to be on a team to swim at a meet?

Former Member
Former Member
I have been swimming for fitness for several years and sometimes time myself just to trick myself into swimming harder and more. Anyway, the time of day and expense of our local masters team does not appeal to me but I would like to try to compete at a meet sometime. Do I have to be on a team to do so? If so, are there any free teams to join that I could join in name only in order to qualify? Finally, where do I find the rules for masters swim meets (for example, I wondered if I have to do flip turns). FYI from reviewing the motivational times I am probably a BB and maybe could become an A in my age group, which is over 50. Thanks! PS I am new to the forum and did try searching this but I think the words are so common on the forum that I could not narrow down the results to find answers so if it has been asked and answered a lot, I apologize.
Parents
  • If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. One thing that surprised me at my first masters meet was how fast the meet moved along. Get to the blocks a heat or two before your heat goes off. Also speaking of starting blocks, you are not required to go off of them, in the water starts are legal. If you have questions at the meet, don't be shy, just ask. Most other swimmers will be glad to help you out.
  • If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. One thing that surprised me at my first masters meet was how fast the meet moved along. Get to the blocks a heat or two before your heat goes off. Also speaking of starting blocks, you are not required to go off of them, in the water starts are legal. If you have questions at the meet, don't be shy, just ask. Most other swimmers will be glad to help you out.
Children
No Data