What to look for in a masters' coach/team.

Any ideas? I have a few but as I didn't swim as a kid, I don't know if they're realistic or not.
  • First, I would suggest that you identify your own goals and objectives. Once you do that, you can better evaluate how a particular program might fit your needs. Each program will have it's own "culture". Most programs will welcome all swimmers, but some are more competition-focused, while others cater more to fitness swimmers. Check out the coach's resume and background beforehand. Our old coach was a former Olympian and a terrific stroke technician. She would write workouts with a daily 'theme' and would actively coach from the deck every day. You were expected to stay on the workout and on your assigned send off interval. Some folks (including myself), made some terrific improvement, but we were pushed hard every day. Our new coach is more laid-back. He makes out alternate workouts (sprint, IM stroke, triathlete, etc.) and lets everyone do their own thing, more or less. Workouts are based more on rest intervals than send offs. He offers encouragement, but doesn't really actively coach unless asked. Some folks thought the old coach was too intense, while some feel the new coach is too laid back. Folks have come and gone from the program for those reasons. My best advice would be to try out a group for a few weeks before making any commitment. Talk to the coach about your goals & objectives and ask about their coaching style and how workouts are structured. Ask the current members what they think about the program; what they think is good, or what they would like to see done differently.
  • Thanks! That is a great list. A running friend did a remote coaching period for a while. I'm wondering if that would work for me? I think in terms of goals and suggestions for problems. As an example, using a kickboard or pull buoy between the knees for fly work. Is that even done in swimming? Vic
  • Thanks! That is a great list. A running friend did a remote coaching period for a while. I'm wondering if that would work for me? I think in terms of goals and suggestions for problems. As an example, using a kickboard or pull buoy between the knees for fly work. Is that even done in swimming? Vic I worked with an online swim coach for a few months when I was training for an Olympic distance triathlon. The coach would send me a weekly workout and I would report back with data like interval times, stroke counts, etc. It was okay. I really liked the coach and did well in my race (2nd out of the water in my age group), but IMHO, there is no substitute for the immediate feedback you get with an on-deck coach when it comes to working on your stroke technique.