Help!

Former Member
Former Member
So last year was my first year ever competitively swimming, I was 15 and in 10th grade. I did it mainly to stay in shape for football, but I ended up being pretty good at it. I swim the 50 free, and I went to the Michigan D3 High School State Meet. I would really like to continue swimming at the collegiate level, so I need to improve. Are there any tips on what I can do to improve? And I'm in need of a Speed Suit, any suggestions? P.S. I'm 6'1 and 173lbs.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    So last year was my first year ever competitively swimming, I was 15 and in 10th grade. I did it mainly to stay in shape for football, but I ended up being pretty good at it. I swim the 50 free, and I went to the Michigan D3 High School State Meet. I would really like to continue swimming at the collegiate level, so I need to improve. Are there any tips on what I can do to improve? And I'm in need of a Speed Suit, any suggestions? P.S. I'm 6'1 and 173lbs. Really, the only generic advice I could give was to make sure that you are in a coached program - and be prepared to work hard at it as, while not impossible to catch up, catching up is what you'll be doing.
  • I know several swimmers who started swimming half way thru high school. The two foremost were: One who went on to become a Big 10 Champion and the other is an Olympic Gold Medalist. So, it certainly can be done. The best advice I can give to improve is to listen to your coach and find a way to go into every practice with a positive mental attitude. Some days will be an internal fight so just realize it's normal, grit your teeth and get it done. If you work hard in practice, don't take the easy way out and focus on having great workouts, the times will drop. Good Luck and have fun.