Camera for underwater video recording of swimming (in pool)

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, What would you recommend for a simple setup for shooting swimming underwater in a pool. I guess I would need a camera (maybe GoPro) with wifi so that I can see what I'm shooting when I submerge it and a stick to hold the camera? I don't even have a digital camera (except the one on my phone) cause I'm really not into the whole shooting thing, but I would love to be able to shoot myself and others to analyze our swimming technique. Nothing fancy - just something that has a clear enough picture to analyze our basic technique - we have no goals for Tokyo 2020, so to speak :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Simplest gopro , but doubtfully you can use it for watching right away after shooting.Screen is too small. After session - on normal computer.
  • Much cheaper than purchasing a GoPro...you could use this waterproof pouch for your cell phone and then prop it 'wherever' on the bottom of the pool. In the discriptions it says the touchscreen can be used when it's in the bag, and you can continue to take photos/videos when under water. www.walmart.com/.../38685896 Dan
  • I've used the Kodak Playsport Camera. Its waterproof and, I believe, substantially less than a Go Pro.
  • I have a Fuji XP that I bought at Costco for under $150. For underwater use, I bought an inexpensive camera mount: www.intova.net/.../ I attached the camera mount to a PVC pipe, so my husband can film me underwater comfortably while standing up on deck. When he's not around, I use rubber coated wire "Gear Ties" I bought at Home Depot to fasten the PVC pipe to the pool ladder or railing. After shooting several clips of video, I will remove the camera from the mount for viewing, so I can evaluate my stroke. Unfortunately, the screen is small, so I give a second look to the videos on my wide screen computer monitor at home. Amazon has several camera mounts listed that work with GoPro cameras and can be used underwater; however, there are some universal mounts available that work with any camera. For now, I am going to stick with my inexpensive set-up, because although a bit funky, it works for me!
  • I have a Fuji XP wifi which I can route to my cell phone so a second person taking the video or pictures can see what the camera sees. Just use the same set up that ElaineK above me described and you are set.
  • The hyperlink doesn't work: www.intova.net/.../ . Is it possible to post a picture of the camera mount and the whole set-up with the pvc pipe? Thanks. Also, wondering if anyone else has advice about cameras and such for underwater videoing.
  • Which knock-off did you buy from Amazon? There's so many cameras that turn up, I'm not sure which one you got.
  • Hmmm. Let's see if I can track back in my Amazon orders and see which one it is... ah! Here it is: www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
  • I bought a Panasonic T530, not especially cheap. Have used it a couple times in the pool and once last week in open water. The lake water was a bit too murky for underwater shots because I tried to stay near shore with ~100 people kicking up a lot of mud as the Triathlon Club began the OWS. I need a lot more practice before I can say if it takes good pictures, because I'm not a good photographer. www.amazon.com/.../B00728ZC1U
  • So, I bought a cheap GoPro knockoff from Amazon that has a bunch of attachments and some sticky mounts, and a waterproof case. I put one sticky mount on a leftover bathroom tile I had. It sinks nicely and is very stable. I put one of the clamp mounts on a broom handle. Haven't gotten to use this much because obviously it requires another videographer to follow you but it works pretty well. Probably spent 80 bucks total.