Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
  • I am swimming faster now than I did in HS. I quit my senior year and did nothing athletic in college, so the comparison is much easier for me. I could have swum D-1 but I was much more interested in other, less productive activities. I really just don't care if someone else is doping in my age group or not. It doesn't concern me. Sure, I'd like to place first in all my events but what I really care about is beating my own clock.
  • I haven't worried much about what's on the list of banned substances, because I only use a protein shake, multi-vitamin and fish oil (I'm not even sure if these are really helpful). They are readily available on the web or many health and drug stores. I recall one Olympic athlete stating that she tested positive for a banned substance that was in something she bought at the Vitamin shop - WTH. As Allen stated above, I see the adds for low T supplements (I'm 67, do I have low T as compared to when I was 20?) and for supplements like glutamine, BCCAs, and Creatine and other stuff and wonder what is "legal". What's the difference between "legal" supplements and banned substances? I've also wondered why there hasn't been more said about PEDs by USMS. Presumably, elite athletes have a coach and trainers who deal with the issue of PEDs. I don't and I'm not a biochemist or physician. I do occasionally have scripts that contain topical or other sort of steroidal substances, would these show up in a PED test? So if USMS heads down this path, I and many others would need quite a bit of education.
  • Not really. Testing for anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, and EPO would be sufficient. Random testing would not be cost prohibitive, and it might serve as a deterrent. i think masters (of all sports not just swimming) should help set the example for elite and kids to NOT dope. and do it by top 3 + random and all record breakers. part of the record submittial is your test when someone at age 45 goes as fast as they did at 22.....in the 200 fly/400im/800free.....yeah right
  • Not really. Testing for anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, and EPO would be sufficient. Random testing would not be cost prohibitive, and it might serve as a deterrent. Yes.
  • Not really. Testing for anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, and EPO would be sufficient. Random testing would not be cost prohibitive, and it might serve as a deterrent. Exactly! But isn't testosterone technically classified an anabolic steroid? Wouldn't we then have a raft of medical exemptions for that from 50+ guys?
  • Based on the list of banned substances, I would fail from 2 of the 3 prescriptions I started before I joined masters. These in NO way enhance my swimming, other than giving me the ability to function is real life. (one is considered a masking agent the other is albuterol). However, I will admit, after having taken steroids for pneumonia, and felt like superwoman in the pool, I can see how easily tempting it can be to keep taking them.
  • Unlike hypogonadism, which is real but uncommon, Low T is not an actual medical condition. But if you want to "treat" it and compete in Masters swimming, apply for a TUE. Let's swim clean. Since testosterone is a naturally occurring hormone I assume a positive test simply means you have a level that wouldn't have occurred naturally, correct?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    fantastic pwd, i'll need someone to race the last 25years then - 80 to 105 i may not remember what pool im at or what city im in, but i'll get on the blocks and go i can name several masters that are swimming faster in their 40s then they did at any point before that. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight To be fair, I'm doing that over 50-100m ***. Not only am I not doping, but I'm not living the life of an elite athlete. I'm a senior manager, I have a family, and I like a drink and other 'nutritional' indulgences. Oh, and I'm in the pool for 3 hours a week. Ok, so I quite right before college but I was a youth international. Point is, why shouldn't we be going faster than 20-odd years ago when the sport has moved on (especially strokes with rule changes). If we did have testing in masters, the medial exception forms would be a nightmare to administer!!
  • Former Member
    If we did have testing in masters, the medical exception forms would be a nightmare to administer!! Not really. Testing for anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, and EPO would be sufficient. Random testing would not be cost prohibitive, and it might serve as a deterrent.
  • Former Member
    But isn't testosterone classified an anabolic steroid? Wouldn't we then have a raft of medical exemptions for that? Unlike hypogonadism, which is real but uncommon, Low T is not an actual medical condition. But if you want to "treat" it and compete in Masters swimming, apply for a TUE. Let's swim clean.