Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
Parents
  • I haven't worried much about what's on the list of banned substances, because I only use a protein shake, multi-vitamin and fish oil (I'm not even sure if these are really helpful). They are readily available on the web or many health and drug stores. I recall one Olympic athlete stating that she tested positive for a banned substance that was in something she bought at the Vitamin shop - WTH. As Allen stated above, I see the adds for low T supplements (I'm 67, do I have low T as compared to when I was 20?) and for supplements like glutamine, BCCAs, and Creatine and other stuff and wonder what is "legal". What's the difference between "legal" supplements and banned substances? I've also wondered why there hasn't been more said about PEDs by USMS. Presumably, elite athletes have a coach and trainers who deal with the issue of PEDs. I don't and I'm not a biochemist or physician. I do occasionally have scripts that contain topical or other sort of steroidal substances, would these show up in a PED test? So if USMS heads down this path, I and many others would need quite a bit of education.
  • I haven't worried much about what's on the list of banned substances, because I only use a protein shake, multi-vitamin and fish oil (I'm not even sure if these are really helpful). They are readily available on the web or many health and drug stores. I recall one Olympic athlete stating that she tested positive for a banned substance that was in something she bought at the Vitamin shop - WTH. As Allen stated above, I see the adds for low T supplements (I'm 67, do I have low T as compared to when I was 20?) and for supplements like glutamine, BCCAs, and Creatine and other stuff and wonder what is "legal". What's the difference between "legal" supplements and banned substances? I've also wondered why there hasn't been more said about PEDs by USMS. Presumably, elite athletes have a coach and trainers who deal with the issue of PEDs. I don't and I'm not a biochemist or physician. I do occasionally have scripts that contain topical or other sort of steroidal substances, would these show up in a PED test? So if USMS heads down this path, I and many others would need quite a bit of education.
Children
No Data