Are you experiencing muscle loss? I want to interview you!

Hi, my name is Gretchen Sanders, and I write for SWIMMER Magazine. I am working on an article about muscle loss in aging athletes for my next assignment, and I need some help finding sources. I would like to interview a few masters swimmers, male or female, who have noticed a decrease in their physical strength and are thus doing weight lifting/strength training exercises to supplement their swim workouts. Ideally you will be close to age 50 or older. I can interview you by phone at your convenience between now and August 10. I promise it won't take long! Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it. Email me at rex757@yahoo.com Gretchen
Parents
  • While I'm not in the age range you specify, I can attest that muscle loss can happen very rapidly. I was on bed rest for a large portion of my pregnancy with my first child. The muscle loss that must have happened was a much bigger hit than expected. I struggled losing weight despite nursing, being active in daily activities, walking, and eating well and in retrospect I realize it was because I lost so much muscle from having to sit and do little else for months. Another child and five years later, I'm back down to pre-pregnancy weight but not nearly as strong and definitely have more fat. I've recently made a commitment to gaining some of that strength back. I had been thinking of chronicling my way back to doing pull-ups again with my Facebook friends but I've been slightly embarrassed to admit I can't even do one anymore. As a swimmer, I sorta feel like I should be able to do a solid set of push ups and a couple pull ups but I can't.
  • While I'm not in the age range you specify, I can attest that muscle loss can happen very rapidly. I was on bed rest for a large portion of my pregnancy with my first child. The muscle loss that must have happened was a much bigger hit than expected. I struggled losing weight despite nursing, being active in daily activities, walking, and eating well and in retrospect I realize it was because I lost so much muscle from having to sit and do little else for months. Another child and five years later, I'm back down to pre-pregnancy weight but not nearly as strong and definitely have more fat. I've recently made a commitment to gaining some of that strength back. I had been thinking of chronicling my way back to doing pull-ups again with my Facebook friends but I've been slightly embarrassed to admit I can't even do one anymore. As a swimmer, I sorta feel like I should be able to do a solid set of push ups and a couple pull ups but I can't.
Children
No Data