Are you experiencing muscle loss? I want to interview you!

Hi, my name is Gretchen Sanders, and I write for SWIMMER Magazine. I am working on an article about muscle loss in aging athletes for my next assignment, and I need some help finding sources. I would like to interview a few masters swimmers, male or female, who have noticed a decrease in their physical strength and are thus doing weight lifting/strength training exercises to supplement their swim workouts. Ideally you will be close to age 50 or older. I can interview you by phone at your convenience between now and August 10. I promise it won't take long! Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it. Email me at rex757@yahoo.com Gretchen
Parents
  • Not sure how much this applies to older people and the sarcopenia of aging phenomenon, but this recent study is one of many that suggests it doesn't matter if you do high weights and fewer reps or low weights and higher reps--as long as you exercise to exhaustion, the strength gains are the same. jap.physiology.org/.../japplphysiol.00154.2016 Lots of people swear by weight lifting, but I wonder if in the pool swim workouts that feature enough to reach the point of failure will maximize strength of swimming specific muscles as well, if not much better, than dry land lifting? If the study referenced above is accurate, then it doesn't matter if you do USRPT "Rushall-style" sets of all out, as fast as possible, short distance bursts, or a set of best average 500s. As long as the practice session leaves you close to exhaustion, I am not sure if the actual muscles you use in the water are going to get that much stronger by supplemental dumb bell manipulations! Now, the same isn't true for the muscles that swimming doesn't use. If you want big biceps, by all means do curls. If there is any convincing research that proves drylands enhance swimming speed more than strenuous in the pool swim training, please provide the references from the literature!
  • Not sure how much this applies to older people and the sarcopenia of aging phenomenon, but this recent study is one of many that suggests it doesn't matter if you do high weights and fewer reps or low weights and higher reps--as long as you exercise to exhaustion, the strength gains are the same. jap.physiology.org/.../japplphysiol.00154.2016 Lots of people swear by weight lifting, but I wonder if in the pool swim workouts that feature enough to reach the point of failure will maximize strength of swimming specific muscles as well, if not much better, than dry land lifting? If the study referenced above is accurate, then it doesn't matter if you do USRPT "Rushall-style" sets of all out, as fast as possible, short distance bursts, or a set of best average 500s. As long as the practice session leaves you close to exhaustion, I am not sure if the actual muscles you use in the water are going to get that much stronger by supplemental dumb bell manipulations! Now, the same isn't true for the muscles that swimming doesn't use. If you want big biceps, by all means do curls. If there is any convincing research that proves drylands enhance swimming speed more than strenuous in the pool swim training, please provide the references from the literature!
Children
No Data