How many years have you been in USMS?

TODAY IS MY 70TH BIRTHDAY :cake:- WOW I'M GETTING TO THE EDGE OF OLD.:cane::afraid: THIS IS ALSO MY 30TH YEAR IN MASTERS. WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN.:applaud: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED IN USMS - MASTERS?
  • I joined six years ago, and I've absolutely loved it! :bliss:I also competed in two LC Nationals (Auburn, 2011 & Mission Viejo, 2013) What a blast! This is what I wrote about my first meet coming back from my setback after hip surgery: elaineiakstravels.wordpress.com/.../ Don't forget Maryland LC 2014, where you had a temporary DQ in the 200 Fly. Saw that one myself. :)
  • Temporary DQ ??? How does that work?
  • I've had two stints in Masters, the first one being roughly 1993-1994 (though I can't recall if I was a member both years) when I was in grad school and living in Madison, Wisconsin. I wasn't on a team, but trained solo at UW pools and YMCA pools around the state as I was also coaching an age group team part-time to help fund grad school. I think I only competed in two Masters meets then, one up near Green Bay and the Badger State Games, but did get one fun "USAS" type experience when the Y team I was coaching did a meet in Thunder Bay, Ontario and I entered a few events and swam with the kids. I wish I had started my "swim in a 1001 pools before I die" goal tracking back then as I did get into a pretty decent number of pools around Wisconsin then, but wasn't tracking. I then had a big gap from 1994 to 2000 as I started working (for real) in August 94, started my family in early 96, moved to Arizona in 97 and proceeded to get fat, stressed and dangerously unhealthy. Getting strapped up to an EKG machine in 2000 - barely more than a decade after being in the greatest shape of my life when I hung up my suit from competing at U of Texas in 1989 - and having my doc tell me I needed to make some serious changes had the right effect to motivate me back into the water. I started small, training solo at the Scottsdale YMCA before I finally felt like I was in shape enough to join the Phoenix Swim Club Masters team and set a goal to swim my first Nationals at Santa Clara in 2001, which I did and I was hooked. Though I had a hectic period from later 2003 to 2007 when I wasn't training or competing as much as I would've liked, I've been a proud member ever since 2001. And, while I definitely got my health back on track with the initial burst of enthusiasm over 2001 to 2003, since 2008, the combination of these forums and competition has put me in an even better position healthwise. Have competed now: SCY Nationals 2001 - Santa Clara 2002 - Hawaii 2003 - ASU 2008 - Austin 2009 - Clovis 2010 - Atlanta 2011 - Mesa 2012 - Greensboro 2014 - Santa Clara 2015 - San Antonio 2016 - Greensboro (can't wait!!) LCM Nationals 2003 - Rutgers (*one event as my company was down the road and I snuck in a crappy 400 free*) 2012 - Omaha 2013 - Mission Viejo 2017 - (Hopefully) Minnesota I don't ever see myself NOT being a member of USMS ... especially as I'm hoping that someday, somehow, I'll age up and at least one National record won't seem off-the-charts impossible ;)
  • Don't forget Maryland LC 2014, where you had a temporary DQ in the 200 Fly. Saw that one myself. :) :doh: Yep, you're right! Montreal was also in 2013, not 2014 as I had stated. Thanks, TRYM! I went back and edited my post. You saw the temporary DQ? I never did find out why I was DQ'd in the first place, but both DQ's in my heat were overturned, and that official went MIA for the remainder of Nationals. I am happy to say that in 6 years of USMS (and three years of high school swimming), I have never been DQ'd. Hopefully, that record will stay intact. :agree:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Member of MSC since Fall 2005.
  • somehow, I'll age up and at least one National record won't seem off-the-charts impossible ;) the 50's are approaching :) USMS since 2010 40-44 Now I'm in the 50-54
  • Looks, like I'm the youngest - only 10 months with USMS. I'm 40 now . Swimming for 10 years in total, used to swim for 4 years at school age then after 19 years break reloaded with Masters.
  • Since 1985 or 86. My first National meet was in 1989 at the former Mission Bay Aquatics Training Center in Boca Raton, FL
  • Only 7 months. Been in 2 meets so far after a 35 year absence. Looks like I'm in for the long haul.
  • joined USMS right after grad school in 2010 and plan on being a member for a very long time! this year's goal are 2 local meets after my future USMS member is born. Congratulations! Good luck and best wishes to ya! I'll bet your other future USMS member will be happy to have a little playmate. :D