Opinions on Tempo Trainers?

Former Member
Former Member
Survey: Tempo Trainers Our intentions with conducting this research survey, as well as with the results of this survey, are to help us understand the design and usage of tempo trainers more. Using these results, we can also conduct a data analysis based on what respondents believe to be true about tempo trainers. Thank you. For how many years have you been swimming? Have you ever used a tempo trainer for swim practice? If so, what was convenient about the tempo trainer? What did you like about it? Did you experience any inconveniences while using the tempo trainer? If you could, what would you improve on the tempo trainer?
  • 1. For how many years have you been swimming? Ummm...total? 17 with competitive goals. 2. Have you ever used a tempo trainer for swim practice? Just got one this week, used it on 4 sets so far. 3. If so, what was convenient about the tempo trainer? What did you like about it? Simple to set, easy to use, fun to try to match or beat. 4. Did you experience any inconveniences while using the tempo trainer? Yes, for example I did a set of 20x75s on 1:20 with the goal to be at 1000 pace. I set the tempo trainer at my pace, 19.88, so I could keep each 25 steady. Visually with the pace clock, I would be ok for a few intervals before having to reset the trainer on the top again. This was really annoying because I was also trying to record the intervals on my garmin swim, so I had to hit both to start these intervals. Annoying. I quickly realized I would have to set both every interval when I did 50's on :10 rest and gave up (on the devices, not the set). Also, I am still experimenting with seeing if I could dial in the ideal tempo for my breaststroke (stroke, kick, glide) but haven't found it yet without too many beeps to keep track of. 5. If you could, what would you improve on the tempo trainer? See the previous answer; A way to have it reset itself on the interval you choose would be awesome. Plus volume control. The interval beeps were fine but using it for the stroke cycle was highly obnoxious quickly.
  • For how many years have you been swimming? 5 years with Masters. Swam middle school - college originally. Have you ever used a tempo trainer for swim practice? Yes. I got one for Christmas this year. If so, what was convenient about the tempo trainer? Several things. I've used it several different ways. One way is to set it up in mode one by dividing the time for a swim by 4. Then set the trainer to that time. So the trainer will help you pace by beeping at four points throughout the swim. I've used this mode for 100s where I set it at 19.5 seconds, and then it should beep at each turn, then I rest the 19.5 seconds, and do another 100. Another way I've used in mode 2 is to actually set the interval and go off the beep each time. This saves you the math if you want to do 100s on 1:18 for example. I've also used this mode for longer swims (like 1000) where i want to pace at a certain 100 pace. I have not tried mode 3 yet that is for stroke rate. What did you like about it? My favorite is to use mode 2 for both longer swims pacing and when doing like 10x100 on a 1:18 interval. Did you experience any inconveniences while using the tempo trainer? Not yet If you could, what would you improve on the tempo trainer? Nothing. Great little tool.
  • 1. 2 as an adult, 7 previous as a kid (with 27 year break in between) 2. Yes 3. Ability to precisely make small, and consistent, changes to the stroke rate 4. Yes. Can't keep in place without a cap. I don't like wearing a cap for practice, especially in warmer temperatures. Also, It's a pain in the ass to make any adjustments when it's under the cap. 5. Separate the control/display functions into a separate unit from the audible feedback components so you could make adjustments easier. Presumably the beeper unit could be smaller, too, in such a case.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Survey: Tempo Trainers Our intentions with conducting this research survey, as well as with the results of this survey, are to help us understand the design and usage of tempo trainers more. Using these results, we can also conduct a data analysis based on what respondents believe to be true about tempo trainers. Thank you. For how many years have you been swimming? Have you ever used a tempo trainer for swim practice? If so, what was convenient about the tempo trainer? What did you like about it? Did you ever have trouble holding the tempo trainer in place while swimming/any conveniences with it? If you could, what would you improve on the tempo trainer?
  • Former Member
    1. 20 2. Yes 3. I do not see value 4. It stayed in place just fine 5. Leaving it in the package Focusing on stroke mechanics makes more impact.
  • Former Member
    1. 31 years (since age 8) 2. All the time. 3. Pacer mode, easy to use. 4. Not really, take the clip off and place upside down under the cap putting start button in an easy to find place. 5. Having preset paces in pacer mode that the user can update. Also be able to sync to a phone to program interval send offs.
  • Do sprinters profit from tempo trainers?
  • REALLY ??? this is your third thread in tempo trainers this month. - give it a rest !!!
  • I was thinking the same thing, but I'm new around here and didn't want to sound like am old curmudgeon.