Gym Pool Question

I recently joined an LA fitness near me in VA because they said the pool, which has only a few lanes but seldom crowded, is 25 meters. But when I swam at the rec center, which I know has 25 yard lanes, it felt like the lanes were longer than those at the gym, and wonder if anyone has had experience with this chain and its pools. I figure you don't tell a bodybuilder a 50 lb. weight is 60, and you don't tell a swimmer a lane is 25 meters when it may only be 20 yards at best. Aside from going in with a length of rope and measuring, I don't know how to figure it out. The staff has a persistent deer in the headlights look when you ask them a question that's outside their comfort zone. It's also the only gym I've been to where there is no air circulation in the spin cycle room, but that's off topic.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I just joined LA Fitness as well, I was told in the two places that I use that they are both are 25 yards. There's no pace clock, but I counted strokes in one of them and it must be at least close to 25 yards. The water is too warm though and makes for a harder workout. Plus mine usually have 2-3 people in each lane so it's mostly kicking for me. I didn't really join for the pool though, that was just a bonus.
  • "Safety" always gets their attention. Good plan to show him/her where they go & purchase a set to install. What are they doing running a pool when they don't know what backstroke flags are ???
  • I swim at 24 Hour Fitness here in San Bernardino, and the staff knows that the pool is 25 yards. This pool along with the other 24 Hour Fitness locations that I have been to have a sign stating the length of the pool and how many lengths equals a mile. In addition they have pace clocks, and either back stroke flags or beams on the ceiling so you know how far away you are from the wall. The only draw back is that you should use your own kickboard because the ones that they supply are usually used in the sauna and steam rooms to sit on.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    The only draw back is that you should use your own kickboard because the ones that they supply are usually used in the sauna and steam rooms to sit on. Ewww. :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    LA Fitness insisted their pool in West Deptford NJ was "Olympic length," which implied 50 meters to me. I asked more than one person and received the same response or "I think it is Olympic length." Not sure if they saw me rolling my eyes. It clearly wasn't 50 meters, but I wasn't sure if it was 25 meters or yards or something off sized (hadn't been swimming enough at that point to rely on stroke count). It felt like 25 yards. But to be sure, I brought in a 100 ft. tape and measured it. The pool measured 75 feet (25 yards) and I think this is a pretty standard length for LA Fitness pools around here. Ask around and find someone with a 100 ft. tape, borrow, and measure it. 100' tapes usually come on a reel and are easy to pull out and wind back up - would only take a couple of minutes. I know this is my first post, but this hits home. Sojerz, i started swimming at that pool in the past few weeks. I stopped to ask the length this morning, and the girl at the desk said "I don't know" decided to google if LA fitness had a standard length, and this thread was the first thing that popped up. Thanks for the help!!
  • Years ago I had a membership at a Bally fitness center. They had a 4-lane, 25-yard indoor pool but it had no backstroke flags. It drove me crazy because even when I tried to keep track of where I was by remembering certain "landmarks" (such as ceiling tiles), sometimes I still messed up. One day I wrote a letter to the facility manager. In the letter I described what backstroke flags were (I included photos) and emphasized that they are a SAFETY device that can help prevent injuries. I offered to buy the flags for the facility, if they would just agree to install them. ... I bought some cheap plastic pennant flags, like these: www.storesupply.com/pc-11847-451-pennant-string-assorted-color-105l-15165.aspx I delivered them to the facility and they installed them. It was great - most of the patrons probably never noticed the flags at all, but I guarantee that anyone who did backstroke saw those flags! Today if I were to do this I would also emphasize that swimmers can actually get concussions if they swim into the wall. If a simple set of $10.00 flags prevents even one concussion, it's well worth it. You are my hero for today! Edit: Actually, I had a similar response to your similar post a year ago didn't I? It's still true though.
  • Former Member
    It could be the fact that you are becoming very good at swimming and them same long distances are seeming shorter?? maybe it's time to up the lengths??
  • Former Member
    Same issue at LA Fitness in FL, no one could tell me the pool length. Now I'm back in IL and joined a Planet Fitness near my house, no one there can tell the weight of the bar in the squat rack. This is basic stuff, not sure who they hire or why, but even the manager couldn't tell me.
  • I belonged to LA Fitness here in Indy for 3 years or so and I can almost promise you the pool is 25 yards. When I joined they also told me the pool was meters, but I swim intervals very consistently and I can tell by my times it is definitely yards. LA Fitness is a large Corporation; I've swam in several of their pools in different states and they are all the same 3 lane structure and 25 yards long. I liked being a member @ LA until they increased the water temp to 88-89 degrees. the noodle classes were extremely popular at my location and I knew those swimmers were the impetus for the increase in temp. so instead of fighting it I just quit. I've had the exact same experience. Multiple pools in multiple states. 3 lanes 25 yards
  • IMO, LA Fitness is the Home Depot of health clubs. That means the staff will know less (sometimes much less) than at a more traditional health club. Make your own measurements...