Gym Pool Question

I recently joined an LA fitness near me in VA because they said the pool, which has only a few lanes but seldom crowded, is 25 meters. But when I swam at the rec center, which I know has 25 yard lanes, it felt like the lanes were longer than those at the gym, and wonder if anyone has had experience with this chain and its pools. I figure you don't tell a bodybuilder a 50 lb. weight is 60, and you don't tell a swimmer a lane is 25 meters when it may only be 20 yards at best. Aside from going in with a length of rope and measuring, I don't know how to figure it out. The staff has a persistent deer in the headlights look when you ask them a question that's outside their comfort zone. It's also the only gym I've been to where there is no air circulation in the spin cycle room, but that's off topic.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    LA Fitness insisted their pool in West Deptford NJ was "Olympic length," which implied 50 meters to me. I asked more than one person and received the same response or "I think it is Olympic length." Not sure if they saw me rolling my eyes. It clearly wasn't 50 meters, but I wasn't sure if it was 25 meters or yards or something off sized (hadn't been swimming enough at that point to rely on stroke count). It felt like 25 yards. But to be sure, I brought in a 100 ft. tape and measured it. The pool measured 75 feet (25 yards) and I think this is a pretty standard length for LA Fitness pools around here. Ask around and find someone with a 100 ft. tape, borrow, and measure it. 100' tapes usually come on a reel and are easy to pull out and wind back up - would only take a couple of minutes. I know this is my first post, but this hits home. Sojerz, i started swimming at that pool in the past few weeks. I stopped to ask the length this morning, and the girl at the desk said "I don't know" decided to google if LA fitness had a standard length, and this thread was the first thing that popped up. Thanks for the help!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    LA Fitness insisted their pool in West Deptford NJ was "Olympic length," which implied 50 meters to me. I asked more than one person and received the same response or "I think it is Olympic length." Not sure if they saw me rolling my eyes. It clearly wasn't 50 meters, but I wasn't sure if it was 25 meters or yards or something off sized (hadn't been swimming enough at that point to rely on stroke count). It felt like 25 yards. But to be sure, I brought in a 100 ft. tape and measured it. The pool measured 75 feet (25 yards) and I think this is a pretty standard length for LA Fitness pools around here. Ask around and find someone with a 100 ft. tape, borrow, and measure it. 100' tapes usually come on a reel and are easy to pull out and wind back up - would only take a couple of minutes. I know this is my first post, but this hits home. Sojerz, i started swimming at that pool in the past few weeks. I stopped to ask the length this morning, and the girl at the desk said "I don't know" decided to google if LA fitness had a standard length, and this thread was the first thing that popped up. Thanks for the help!!
Children
No Data