Need a butterfly critique and drills/videos I can do to addr

Former Member
Former Member
www.youtube.com/watch i. Am I even second kicking? ii. Other tips? Undulation, kick timing?
Parents
  • Zet: In general, I'd say it looks pretty descent. You've got a good start. You get your head down, and your breath timing is coordinated well with your catch and your kick. However, you're adding an extra kick in the sequence. I like to think about one kick as I start my catch (and lift my head) and the second kick as I finish the cycle: "kick to start and kick to finish." There should be two kicks per arm cycle. That extra kick you are currently taking may feel necessary for you at this point, but I'd prefer to see you stretch out and achieve a better line between each stroke and effectively lengthen yourself. This should make things easier for you as well. In addition to several great drill videos out there (Go Swim comes to mind), as the USMS Online General Workouts Coach, I have created a series of "30-second Drill Videos" for each of the strokes and posted them on YouTube. Here's the link to the butterfly drill sequence: www.youtube.com/playlist. Feel free to reply or bounce back if you have any questions. Coach Mark Johnston Flathead Lake Open Water Swimmers
  • Zet: In general, I'd say it looks pretty descent. You've got a good start. You get your head down, and your breath timing is coordinated well with your catch and your kick. However, you're adding an extra kick in the sequence. I like to think about one kick as I start my catch (and lift my head) and the second kick as I finish the cycle: "kick to start and kick to finish." There should be two kicks per arm cycle. That extra kick you are currently taking may feel necessary for you at this point, but I'd prefer to see you stretch out and achieve a better line between each stroke and effectively lengthen yourself. This should make things easier for you as well. In addition to several great drill videos out there (Go Swim comes to mind), as the USMS Online General Workouts Coach, I have created a series of "30-second Drill Videos" for each of the strokes and posted them on YouTube. Here's the link to the butterfly drill sequence: www.youtube.com/playlist. Feel free to reply or bounce back if you have any questions. Coach Mark Johnston Flathead Lake Open Water Swimmers
Children
No Data