Need a butterfly critique and drills/videos I can do to addr

Former Member
Former Member
www.youtube.com/watch i. Am I even second kicking? ii. Other tips? Undulation, kick timing?
  • Zet Time yourself for a fast 25 butterfly. Let me know what your time is Are you wearing a jammer or loose baggy swim shorts?
  • Zet: In general, I'd say it looks pretty descent. You've got a good start. You get your head down, and your breath timing is coordinated well with your catch and your kick. However, you're adding an extra kick in the sequence. I like to think about one kick as I start my catch (and lift my head) and the second kick as I finish the cycle: "kick to start and kick to finish." There should be two kicks per arm cycle. That extra kick you are currently taking may feel necessary for you at this point, but I'd prefer to see you stretch out and achieve a better line between each stroke and effectively lengthen yourself. This should make things easier for you as well. In addition to several great drill videos out there (Go Swim comes to mind), as the USMS Online General Workouts Coach, I have created a series of "30-second Drill Videos" for each of the strokes and posted them on YouTube. Here's the link to the butterfly drill sequence: www.youtube.com/playlist. Feel free to reply or bounce back if you have any questions. Coach Mark Johnston Flathead Lake Open Water Swimmers
  • One kick should be at the end of the arm/hand pull back and the other as your hands enter the water at the front of the stroke. You seem to put both at the glide part of the stroke. Also try to have the hands enter the water fingers 1st . You seem to drop your elbow so hands and forearm and elbow all hit the water at the same time . this is more water resistance to break thru. Try to drop your head down as you drop both arms into the water.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Another thing with the kick is it needs to start at your hip or higher. Yours looks like it is starting at the knee. When coaching kids I tell them to imagine the kick starts with their belly button and travels down your body like a whip, so by the time the wave gets to your toes its been picking up speed the whole way. Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk