Medically mandated week off from swimming... tips?

Hey all, Have to have a skin cancer removed (nothing serious--basal cell) tomorrow, and the doctor says no swimming for a week. He says running is okay, though, which I plan to do. But I'm wondering if you have other tips on dryland stuff I can do in the meantime. The affected area is my arm, but I don't see that as a huge problem--though the doctor might restrict weight/strength training involving arm movements. Have to check w/ him about that. What are your thoughts on this? I'm fortunate in that I enjoy running, so at least I won't be totally driven batty by the week lay-off. Thanks for your suggestions!
Parents
  • For the encouragement - 2 years ago I was 2 months out from Swim Around Key West and training hard. I strained a lat to the point where I couldn't do any more than 100y, let alone the 14+k I needed to train. I was out of the pool for almost 10+ days, I think. I seriously considered pulling out of the race. Someone convinced me otherwise and I ended up doing the race without pain and finished well. You're so far out now, you still can reach those goals. Don't give up on them for a 2 week hiatus. Keep working on your aerobic endurance wherever you can. The body adjusts and once you pop back in the water, you'll be normal again in short order. Workout suggestion - I can't see where you live, but if you have an Orangetheory Fitness near you, check out one or two of their classes. They are a great, total body workout and they have very competent trainers who can adjust for your needs. Every 60 minute class is different than the last day you did it. It incorporates treadmills, water rowers, and a weight room/plyometrics. www.orangetheoryfitness.com It has been such an amazing addition for cross-training for my distance swimming.
  • For the encouragement - 2 years ago I was 2 months out from Swim Around Key West and training hard. I strained a lat to the point where I couldn't do any more than 100y, let alone the 14+k I needed to train. I was out of the pool for almost 10+ days, I think. I seriously considered pulling out of the race. Someone convinced me otherwise and I ended up doing the race without pain and finished well. You're so far out now, you still can reach those goals. Don't give up on them for a 2 week hiatus. Keep working on your aerobic endurance wherever you can. The body adjusts and once you pop back in the water, you'll be normal again in short order. Workout suggestion - I can't see where you live, but if you have an Orangetheory Fitness near you, check out one or two of their classes. They are a great, total body workout and they have very competent trainers who can adjust for your needs. Every 60 minute class is different than the last day you did it. It incorporates treadmills, water rowers, and a weight room/plyometrics. www.orangetheoryfitness.com It has been such an amazing addition for cross-training for my distance swimming.
Children
No Data