Medically mandated week off from swimming... tips?

Hey all, Have to have a skin cancer removed (nothing serious--basal cell) tomorrow, and the doctor says no swimming for a week. He says running is okay, though, which I plan to do. But I'm wondering if you have other tips on dryland stuff I can do in the meantime. The affected area is my arm, but I don't see that as a huge problem--though the doctor might restrict weight/strength training involving arm movements. Have to check w/ him about that. What are your thoughts on this? I'm fortunate in that I enjoy running, so at least I won't be totally driven batty by the week lay-off. Thanks for your suggestions!
Parents
  • New wrinkle--have to have this done in two parts--thought I would be done with everything today but they told me they'd need to remove the other lesions next Tuesday. Fortunately, the doctor says I can swim some during the weekend if I use liquid bandage plus waterproof bandage. He's not so keen on my doing any kind of lifting, although leg strengthening is okay, as is yoga. But this means two weeks of limited swimming. At first, the underlings were telling me, NO swimming for a month. That was doing so many numbers on my mind that I was very relieved to have the head doctor tell me I could swim as long as I was REALLY careful of keeping the area covered. Okay, a bump in the road, not the end of the road--but still a bummer b/c I want to be ready for (a) the Great South Bay Swim in July and (b) if I make the lottery, the Boston Light Swim in August, maybe even (c) the Valley Forge Marathon Swim in September (although may just do that one as a relay or volunteer it). Could use some encouraging words. Feel a bit crestfallen not to have the whole thing done today. There were three things to remove, but I thought they'd do them all and I could get on w/ things. I know, I know--people deal w/ so much worse (including someone close to me), and I'm working on getting that perspective back, but meanwhile.... Thanks for any support!
  • New wrinkle--have to have this done in two parts--thought I would be done with everything today but they told me they'd need to remove the other lesions next Tuesday. Fortunately, the doctor says I can swim some during the weekend if I use liquid bandage plus waterproof bandage. He's not so keen on my doing any kind of lifting, although leg strengthening is okay, as is yoga. But this means two weeks of limited swimming. At first, the underlings were telling me, NO swimming for a month. That was doing so many numbers on my mind that I was very relieved to have the head doctor tell me I could swim as long as I was REALLY careful of keeping the area covered. Okay, a bump in the road, not the end of the road--but still a bummer b/c I want to be ready for (a) the Great South Bay Swim in July and (b) if I make the lottery, the Boston Light Swim in August, maybe even (c) the Valley Forge Marathon Swim in September (although may just do that one as a relay or volunteer it). Could use some encouraging words. Feel a bit crestfallen not to have the whole thing done today. There were three things to remove, but I thought they'd do them all and I could get on w/ things. I know, I know--people deal w/ so much worse (including someone close to me), and I'm working on getting that perspective back, but meanwhile.... Thanks for any support!
Children
No Data