One leg weaker - how to correct?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi All! Am a beginner swimmer, swim around 800 meters freestyle including some drills, 3-4 times a week. Learnt swimming 9 months back. After years of playing soccer, my right leg and almost all the muscle groups on the right side are significantly stronger than the left. I can very clearly feel the same in the kicks of my swimming as well. Are there any one leg or one sided drills or any other methods/exercise to help me achieve symmetry. Thanks in advance! My body with 60% water in it, feels at home only in the pool!
  • Welcome to the great activity of swimming! All I can think of is something like a kick set with a kickboard: 10 x 25 kick on 2:00 - kicking with just the left leg on odds, and kick with both legs for the even ones Also, from all the years of soccer, your left ankle (or both ankles) may lack flexibility or the ability to bend in propulsive ways during the kick. If this IS accurate, don't worry as they do flex some over time, but there's also good stretches specifically for this.
  • Also dry land exercises of squats with one and then both legs. Ask a trainer at the gym for more .
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thanks steve and orca. Have started working on your suggestions. Rgds My body with 60% water in it, feels at home only in the pool!
  • I have had 5 hip operations, so I know how difficult it is to recover or improve leg functions and strength. Keep at my friend.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Yeah, keep up the good work. Swimming is a great sport and great fun too. Enjoy!