How long to reach Navy diver fitness

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all.

I'm looking to join the New Zealand Navy as a diver. Divers are often regarded as some of the fittest in our military besides special forces. There isn't much information on the swim tests involved but the level of fitness I want to get to is similar to what would be expected of a US Navy SEAL going into BUD/S with a decent chance of success.

I have a decent level of fitness on land - I can do 20+ pull ups, 50+ push ups, run 5km in less than 20 minutes, would probably get 12-13 on a beep test, and can run 15km without too much effort but wouldn't want to run much further.

However, I have not done a whole lot of swimming before. I can swim 1000m continuously in a pool freestyle without getting too tired but not at a very fast pace. My workouts currently go until I have done 1000-1200m.

If I were to train most days of the week, plus some land training, how long should I expect to take to reach my goal? I know it is highly variable between people etc. but I am just looking for a general indicator.

Note: They say to be competitive at BUD/S you should be able to do the combat swimmer sidestroke or breaststroke 500 yard swim in less than 8 minutes.
It is also noteworthy that I'm 19, about 66kg, 176cm tall.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    So I just did a 1600m swim as a way of assessing my current fitness. I didn't do great but I'm more than happy with it seeing as just over 3 weeks ago I was exhausted after swimming 50m. I did the 1600 in a 50m pool, no flip turns, with hairy legs, face, and hair and in loose swim togs (how much of a difference does this really make?). I did 400 freestyle, 400 combat sidestroke, 400 backstroke, and 400 breaststroke in that order. The free and breaststroke were OK because I'm reasonably familiar with those strokes but the back and combat were more uncomfortable and the back was especially slow. Overall it took me 51:40 and my heart rate immediately after finishing was about 142 so it wasn't very strenuous. What sort of time should I be aiming for for a swim like this? How often should I test myself? I want to do some other tests every now and then such as those used in the US Navy PFT aswell.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    So I just did a 1600m swim as a way of assessing my current fitness. I didn't do great but I'm more than happy with it seeing as just over 3 weeks ago I was exhausted after swimming 50m. I did the 1600 in a 50m pool, no flip turns, with hairy legs, face, and hair and in loose swim togs (how much of a difference does this really make?). I did 400 freestyle, 400 combat sidestroke, 400 backstroke, and 400 breaststroke in that order. The free and breaststroke were OK because I'm reasonably familiar with those strokes but the back and combat were more uncomfortable and the back was especially slow. Overall it took me 51:40 and my heart rate immediately after finishing was about 142 so it wasn't very strenuous. What sort of time should I be aiming for for a swim like this? How often should I test myself? I want to do some other tests every now and then such as those used in the US Navy PFT aswell.
Children
No Data