How long to reach Navy diver fitness

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all.

I'm looking to join the New Zealand Navy as a diver. Divers are often regarded as some of the fittest in our military besides special forces. There isn't much information on the swim tests involved but the level of fitness I want to get to is similar to what would be expected of a US Navy SEAL going into BUD/S with a decent chance of success.

I have a decent level of fitness on land - I can do 20+ pull ups, 50+ push ups, run 5km in less than 20 minutes, would probably get 12-13 on a beep test, and can run 15km without too much effort but wouldn't want to run much further.

However, I have not done a whole lot of swimming before. I can swim 1000m continuously in a pool freestyle without getting too tired but not at a very fast pace. My workouts currently go until I have done 1000-1200m.

If I were to train most days of the week, plus some land training, how long should I expect to take to reach my goal? I know it is highly variable between people etc. but I am just looking for a general indicator.

Note: They say to be competitive at BUD/S you should be able to do the combat swimmer sidestroke or breaststroke 500 yard swim in less than 8 minutes.
It is also noteworthy that I'm 19, about 66kg, 176cm tall.
  • According to the info on this official NZ military website you don't even have to swim to get into the diver program. www.defencecareers.mil.nz/.../diver "FITNESS REQUIREMENTS You must be medically fit for service. Colour perception restrictions may apply. Navy Diver Recruitment Fitness Testing: minimum MSFT standard for Diver is Level 9.5 on the beep test, 30 press ups and 66 curl ups." Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I believe that is just to get past the first stage. Diver applicants need to attend a 'Diver Selection Board'. The Navy has this to say about selection boards in general: "You’ll be asked to undergo further aptitude tests, designed to test your problem solving skills and possibly leadership and management skills – again, this will depend on which role you’re applying for. You’ll also attend another interview and additional fitness tests." I imagine there would be some sort of swim test involved, given the apparent professionalism of the divers. EDIT: though it may be outdated, I found a video of a swim test the divers do, though I'm not sure if it's up to date. There was a 400m swim in a 33m pool. Applicants stay on their backs and swim with fins. The minimum time was 8:30 but in the video they take about 5:45. I'm not very experienced with swimming so I'm not sure if this is a good time. Video is here: www.defencecareers.mil.nz/.../navy-divers-fitness-test
  • Former Member
    Hello Dylan, I was a US Navy diver for 9 years (3 years in a Navy Special Warfare (SEAL) unit). I don't know much about the NZ Navy Divers but my understanding is that they are very similar to the Australian Clearance Divers. I worked with both AU Clearance divers and SAS teams and have to say that they have the same physical condition (and skills) as any US Navy Special Operator; therefore, training as if you were going to attend BUD/s is a great idea. Regarding training, you're right about the PT scores (swim times, pull-ups, push-ups, and run). You mentioned 50+ push ups, is that in one minute? Candidates at BUD/s are averaging 110+ in 2 minutes. In regards to the run, I suggest you get used to longer distances, we ran a lot when I went through Dive School and I don't think NZ Dive training is much different. Now, this is a swimming forum so let's just stick to that. You MUST dominate the combat sidestroke, they really won't care much about your 1000m freestyle time and breaststroke isn't going to work when you're doing a long swim with the teams. To answer your question, like Steve said above, becoming a good swimmer takes time. If you're not a good swimmer I suggest you start focusing on that, maybe work some drills for sidestroke and make sure you have a smooth stroke by the time you show up for training. They will NOT teach you the stroke during training and you could run the chance of being dropped from the program. As of combat sidestroke being just a rotated breaststroke, I disagree. The pull is one arm at a time and the kick is entirely different. Feel free to ask any questions and good luck!
  • You can join a coached masters team as an option. But becoming a good swimmer takes time, possibly years depending on background. Focusing on breaststroke would be the key however, and combat stroke is just a rotated breaststroke.
  • As of combat sidestroke being just a rotated breaststroke, I disagree. The pull is one arm at a time and the kick is entirely different. Yes, however learning breaststroke pullouts and a powerful frog kick may actually help a 500 CSS time. I watched 500yd done in 6:45 on youtube. He did frog kicks with flutter kicking between for each cycle and was going 10m off each wall using a br pullout. Anyhow, starting a coached swimming program now will definitely make your program less stressful for the water portions
  • Former Member
    The press ups are just in one continuous set. I haven't done a 2 minute test. I'm going to keep an eye on the clock while I swim today so that I have at least some idea of my current swimming fitness. I have a good 1-1.5 years before I would do the swim test since I'd finish my degree first, so I'm not too worried about specifics so long as this is a reasonable time frame to become a proficient swimmer.
  • Former Member
    So I just did a 1600m swim as a way of assessing my current fitness. I didn't do great but I'm more than happy with it seeing as just over 3 weeks ago I was exhausted after swimming 50m. I did the 1600 in a 50m pool, no flip turns, with hairy legs, face, and hair and in loose swim togs (how much of a difference does this really make?). I did 400 freestyle, 400 combat sidestroke, 400 backstroke, and 400 breaststroke in that order. The free and breaststroke were OK because I'm reasonably familiar with those strokes but the back and combat were more uncomfortable and the back was especially slow. Overall it took me 51:40 and my heart rate immediately after finishing was about 142 so it wasn't very strenuous. What sort of time should I be aiming for for a swim like this? How often should I test myself? I want to do some other tests every now and then such as those used in the US Navy PFT aswell.
  • I know a Navy guy at our pool who is there six out of seven days a week. Even though he already has his "contract" he still works hard every time I see him. He said they get retested a lot. On thing about that combat sidestroke, he has an awesome glide he assumes right after the kick, where streamlining makes a big difference. I was really impressed.