If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I envy your situation. Your granddaughter is motivated, loves her sport, has talent, and has options. She should be encouraged to pursue her dreams. Shame on the naysayer. My son is in the 10th grade and is most likely going to quit his HS swimming after this season. He has some talent and his team's best swimmer. But might not really love it enough to continue on. I think he will regret this one day. Your naysayer needs a good talking to on the side. Shame on him..... PS. I am not a swimmer. I think it is a very tough sport mentally on the kids. But I think that is what makes it a very unique sport. This thread is full of examples of the good it does for those that competitive swim. Lots of intangibles swimmers seem to gain from this sport. It will help her in the future.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I envy your situation. Your granddaughter is motivated, loves her sport, has talent, and has options. She should be encouraged to pursue her dreams. Shame on the naysayer. My son is in the 10th grade and is most likely going to quit his HS swimming after this season. He has some talent and his team's best swimmer. But might not really love it enough to continue on. I think he will regret this one day. Your naysayer needs a good talking to on the side. Shame on him..... PS. I am not a swimmer. I think it is a very tough sport mentally on the kids. But I think that is what makes it a very unique sport. This thread is full of examples of the good it does for those that competitive swim. Lots of intangibles swimmers seem to gain from this sport. It will help her in the future.
Children
No Data