If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
Parents
  • My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation? First it sounds to me like Mr. Naysayer is a short sighted narrow minded A$$h@LE. ( please share this with him ) I swam for UT, most of the guys I swam with did well in school then went on to accomplish great things in life. Many earned advanced degrees. This small group of swimmers are now doctors, lawyers, business owners, engineers, military officers, authors, and many successful individuals in many areas. A decent percentage of the men and women I swam with at UT are now self made multimillionaires. Birds of a feather do flock together. It's wise for everyone to spend their time with dreamers and doers, focused passionate hard working people, not Naysayers & complainers who explain what can't be done and why. The truth is: if you think you can or if you think you can't, you're right. College swimming gave me life long friends, a handful of people who've got my back and I've got theirs. Not many people work as hard or as long as swimmers do and when swimmers channel their work ethics into other fields, they tend to excel, because they set high goals and work harder and longer that most people do. Very often in just a matter of years, former swimmers tend to rise to the tops of their fields. My life is forever better because I was lucky enough to swim for UT coached by Eddie Reese from 1981 to 1986. I highly encourage your grand daughter to make college swimming part of her story and to tell Mr. Naysayer to STFU, preferably with her life accomplishments after college swimming.
  • My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation? First it sounds to me like Mr. Naysayer is a short sighted narrow minded A$$h@LE. ( please share this with him ) I swam for UT, most of the guys I swam with did well in school then went on to accomplish great things in life. Many earned advanced degrees. This small group of swimmers are now doctors, lawyers, business owners, engineers, military officers, authors, and many successful individuals in many areas. A decent percentage of the men and women I swam with at UT are now self made multimillionaires. Birds of a feather do flock together. It's wise for everyone to spend their time with dreamers and doers, focused passionate hard working people, not Naysayers & complainers who explain what can't be done and why. The truth is: if you think you can or if you think you can't, you're right. College swimming gave me life long friends, a handful of people who've got my back and I've got theirs. Not many people work as hard or as long as swimmers do and when swimmers channel their work ethics into other fields, they tend to excel, because they set high goals and work harder and longer that most people do. Very often in just a matter of years, former swimmers tend to rise to the tops of their fields. My life is forever better because I was lucky enough to swim for UT coached by Eddie Reese from 1981 to 1986. I highly encourage your grand daughter to make college swimming part of her story and to tell Mr. Naysayer to STFU, preferably with her life accomplishments after college swimming.
Children
No Data