If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
Parents
  • the naysayer needs to be told this is your granddaughter's life and she can live it how she wants. i bet he's got some resentment because of his circumstances in college. just because he went through something crappy doesn't mean that she needs to do the same thing and have a crappy experience too. let her do her own thing; let her live her own life how she wants. she's only 18-21 once, and she's got the rest of her life to work and make money. also, swimming is something that has definitely helped me professionally. as an example, and to piggy-back on PWB's post, my current job's bosses commend my current athletic work as being an indication of my work ethic. when they hired me, they knew that I would give them 110% professionally, just as i would in the pool. they also continue to bring up my swimming (and hockey) nearly 3 years after hire. clearly, granddaughter has her head on straight.
  • the naysayer needs to be told this is your granddaughter's life and she can live it how she wants. i bet he's got some resentment because of his circumstances in college. just because he went through something crappy doesn't mean that she needs to do the same thing and have a crappy experience too. let her do her own thing; let her live her own life how she wants. she's only 18-21 once, and she's got the rest of her life to work and make money. also, swimming is something that has definitely helped me professionally. as an example, and to piggy-back on PWB's post, my current job's bosses commend my current athletic work as being an indication of my work ethic. when they hired me, they knew that I would give them 110% professionally, just as i would in the pool. they also continue to bring up my swimming (and hockey) nearly 3 years after hire. clearly, granddaughter has her head on straight.
Children
No Data