If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
Parents
  • Because I swam in college ... It helped me organize my time while in college and gave me the opportunity to work hard at something I loved ... which led to becoming swim captain ... which helped me get hired at age 22 into a great company and a great job .... which also led to playing water polo from age 22-30 .... which led to fun travels and meeting some great people .... which led to not being afraid of the water ... which led to learning to fish on large lakes .... which led to 30 years of annual fishing trips with the same 5 guys with memories and lifelong friendships ... which led to teaching my children to fish ... which led to many enjoyable afternoons with them in a boat ... which led to competing in triathlons at age 55 and up ... which put me in great physical and mental shape ... which kept me employed and performing at a high level on the job until I elected to retire on my time line.... which led to joining a masters swim program ... which gets me out of the house early morning 4 days per week (both at home and when travelling) .... which keeps me active, healthy and intellectually engaged. Yea ... I would suggest your grandchild should swim. But, at a school where she is likely to stay with it for 4 years. In other words, a good D3 swim program or a D1 program may or may not be the right fit.
  • Because I swam in college ... It helped me organize my time while in college and gave me the opportunity to work hard at something I loved ... which led to becoming swim captain ... which helped me get hired at age 22 into a great company and a great job .... which also led to playing water polo from age 22-30 .... which led to fun travels and meeting some great people .... which led to not being afraid of the water ... which led to learning to fish on large lakes .... which led to 30 years of annual fishing trips with the same 5 guys with memories and lifelong friendships ... which led to teaching my children to fish ... which led to many enjoyable afternoons with them in a boat ... which led to competing in triathlons at age 55 and up ... which put me in great physical and mental shape ... which kept me employed and performing at a high level on the job until I elected to retire on my time line.... which led to joining a masters swim program ... which gets me out of the house early morning 4 days per week (both at home and when travelling) .... which keeps me active, healthy and intellectually engaged. Yea ... I would suggest your grandchild should swim. But, at a school where she is likely to stay with it for 4 years. In other words, a good D3 swim program or a D1 program may or may not be the right fit.
Children
No Data