If you swam in college

Former Member
Former Member
My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation?
Parents
  • My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation? I walked onto my Division 1 team my freshman year and only swam that 1 year as I was not really good enough to compete in Div 1. I don't know of any doors that it directly opened for me after graduation, but it definitely helped me make some good friends, ease the transition to college, and have a lot of fun. She should definitely swim if 1) she wants to; 2) is capable; and 3) it will not affect her studies. I'd consider those short-term things, rather than whether swimming will open any doors down the road. You mentioned that several colleges are interested in her. Are these schools that she is interested in attending regardless of swimming. Unless swimming is actually her life (either Olympic aspirations or has little educational goals, and I doubt the latter based on her course load), it may not be a great idea to make a decision based solely on swimming, but that is no reason to not swim at all, or not even consider it, as it is most definitely not a waste of time. But the naysayer may be more concerned that she could pick the wrong school by making swimming the priority, as opposed to the idea of participating in swimming in general. For example, does she have her sights set on attending an ivy league school, but is getting interest from secondary state schools (i.e., not the flagship campus but something like Southern CT State vs. UConn) and would consider giving up on all other goals just for swimming? Don't let the naysayer get her down.
  • My granddaughter has several colleges interested in her. She is very excited, however, there is a naysayer in the family. Every time my granddaughter brings up the subject in his presence he makes comments like, "Swimming isn't your life," or "It is a waste of time because it won't get you a job." If she says, "What if I want to be a swim coach?" He says, "Sounds like a hobby, not a job." My question, what doors did swimming for a college/university open for you after graduation? I walked onto my Division 1 team my freshman year and only swam that 1 year as I was not really good enough to compete in Div 1. I don't know of any doors that it directly opened for me after graduation, but it definitely helped me make some good friends, ease the transition to college, and have a lot of fun. She should definitely swim if 1) she wants to; 2) is capable; and 3) it will not affect her studies. I'd consider those short-term things, rather than whether swimming will open any doors down the road. You mentioned that several colleges are interested in her. Are these schools that she is interested in attending regardless of swimming. Unless swimming is actually her life (either Olympic aspirations or has little educational goals, and I doubt the latter based on her course load), it may not be a great idea to make a decision based solely on swimming, but that is no reason to not swim at all, or not even consider it, as it is most definitely not a waste of time. But the naysayer may be more concerned that she could pick the wrong school by making swimming the priority, as opposed to the idea of participating in swimming in general. For example, does she have her sights set on attending an ivy league school, but is getting interest from secondary state schools (i.e., not the flagship campus but something like Southern CT State vs. UConn) and would consider giving up on all other goals just for swimming? Don't let the naysayer get her down.
Children
No Data