Noob: overweight and nervous for upcoming class

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm brand new to swimming and I'm signed up for a class beginning next week. I just received in the mail: two jammer shorts that fit well (size 40 waist), two swim caps, and two sets of goggles that seem good. I'm not scared of the water but I am concerned about my body image. Will I be glared at or is it common to see fat people at the pool? I don't really see a practical/comfortable way to wear a 'shirt' to cover up my hairy chest and belly. Will I be committing any faux pas by showing my hairy chest and back? Should I even care? Thanks for any advice and encouragement :)
Parents
  • As others said, just head for that swim class and have some fun! Everyone's nervous and self-conscious at first, so they won't be thinking of any supposed flaws of yours. They'll be thinking of their own. ;) Seriously, it's normal to be nervous at the start of anything new, including your first swim lesson. You'll be okay. One thought: before the lesson (even a day or two before if you have a chance), introduce yourself to the instructor, let her/ him know you're looking forward to taking lessons. It might even be worth letting the instructor know you're a bit nervous and ask her/him for any tips to help you relax and be ready to go. Do let us know how it goes!
  • As others said, just head for that swim class and have some fun! Everyone's nervous and self-conscious at first, so they won't be thinking of any supposed flaws of yours. They'll be thinking of their own. ;) Seriously, it's normal to be nervous at the start of anything new, including your first swim lesson. You'll be okay. One thought: before the lesson (even a day or two before if you have a chance), introduce yourself to the instructor, let her/ him know you're looking forward to taking lessons. It might even be worth letting the instructor know you're a bit nervous and ask her/him for any tips to help you relax and be ready to go. Do let us know how it goes!
Children
No Data