Choosing a focus distance or stroke / Choosing a specialty

So many swimmers classify themselves as a "sprinter", "breaststroker", "middle distance", "IMer", etc. Since training can affect the outcome, how can you tell if your talent matches what you're training? To clarify with an example: How can you tell if you're really meant to be a distance swimmer vs. you like distance and you've trained yourself into it? There's definitely something to be said for just doing what you like and going with it. Or to just take an all around approach similar to what is recommended for age groupers. But what if you want to pick something to really throw your focus into? Is there an objective way to decide what distance a person should focus on or what stroke a person should focus on? If you have a specialty, how did you decide?
  • The truism that breaststrokers are born,not made is,well,true.If you can do a breaststroke kick well,you are a breaststroker. This is absolutely not true. I am the case that disproves the hypothesis. Br kick is by far my best kick. It's ~15s per 100 faster than kicking any other stroke. A few years ago I did a couple of workouts with one of the university swimmers. He was shocked at the speed of my breaststroke kick. I've had several swimmers and coaches remark that I must be a breaststroker. Well no, it is my weakest and least competitive stroke. If I look at those motivational times charts, I can just barely make the BB standard in the breaststroke, (maybe, I'm not sure I can even do that any more.) If I apply one of those ratings calculators, my best breaststroke swim ever (a 200 SCY) rated 74. In contrast, my backstroke kick is lousy, definitely my slowest kick, but surprisingly, backstroke is by far my most competitive stroke. I've actually been faster than the quad-A standard on this motivational charts multiple times, and produced a rating as high as 86. Breaststrokers may be born, not made, but having a good breaststroke kick does not make you a good breaststroker. I'm pretty sure that upper body flexibility is also required, and I don't have that. Efforts to follow stretching regimes to improve it have invariably led to scapular strains. Trying to capitalize on my good breaststroke kick has been ranks right up there with trying to learn to SDK effectively on the frustration meter.
  • This is absolutely not true. I am the case that disproves the hypothesis. Br kick is by far my best kick. It's ~15s per 100 faster than kicking any other stroke. A few years ago I did a couple of workouts with one of the university swimmers. He was shocked at the speed of my breaststroke kick. I've had several swimmers and coaches remark that I must be a breaststroker. Well no, it is my weakest and least competitive stroke. If I look at those motivational times charts, I can just barely make the BB standard in the breaststroke, (maybe, I'm not sure I can even do that any more.) If I apply one of those ratings calculators, my best breaststroke swim ever (a 200 SCY) rated 74. In contrast, my backstroke kick is lousy, definitely my slowest kick, but surprisingly, backstroke is by far my most competitive stroke. I've actually been faster than the quad-A standard on this motivational charts multiple times, and produced a rating as high as 86. Breaststrokers may be born, not made, but having a good breaststroke kick does not make you a good breaststroker. I'm pretty sure that upper body flexibility is also required, and I don't have that. Efforts to follow stretching regimes to improve it have invariably led to scapular strains. Trying to capitalize on my good breaststroke kick has been ranks right up there with trying to learn to SDK effectively on the frustration meter. You are the first I have heard of with this problem.I'd love it if you could post a video of your BR so I could strive for an explanation.
  • You are the first I have heard of with this problem.I'd love it if you could post a video of your BR so I could strive for an explanation. You sound like the exception and not the norm. Video would explain a lot, I think... You must really be doing something to cause a lot of drag with your upper body to negate the benefit of a really fast kick...
  • This is absolutely not true. I am the case that disproves the hypothesis. Br kick is by far my best kick. It's ~15s per 100 faster than kicking any other stroke. A few years ago I did a couple of workouts with one of the university swimmers. He was shocked at the speed of my breaststroke kick. I've had several swimmers and coaches remark that I must be a breaststroker. Well no, it is my weakest and least competitive stroke. If I look at those motivational times charts, I can just barely make the BB standard in the breaststroke, (maybe, I'm not sure I can even do that any more.) If I apply one of those ratings calculators, my best breaststroke swim ever (a 200 SCY) rated 74. In contrast, my backstroke kick is lousy, definitely my slowest kick, but surprisingly, backstroke is by far my most competitive stroke. I've actually been faster than the quad-A standard on this motivational charts multiple times, and produced a rating as high as 86. Breaststrokers may be born, not made, but having a good breaststroke kick does not make you a good breaststroker. I'm pretty sure that upper body flexibility is also required, and I don't have that. Efforts to follow stretching regimes to improve it have invariably led to scapular strains. Trying to capitalize on my good breaststroke kick has been ranks right up there with trying to learn to SDK effectively on the frustration meter. If you have a great *** stroke kick, you have the potential to have at least a good *** stroke. All you need is proper co-ordination ( timing). Timing is relatively easy to master as compared to the kick - so maybe you have hidden potential. BTW - a vast majority of those who have master the *** stroke kick have a decent timing (this is where you may be an exception)
  • In all my coaching, when asked "coach - what should I swim?" I look at the feet of said swimmer to see if they stand with feet turned out like a duck to tell if the at helps with breaststroke. That sure helps in the kick. Feet even or turned in help with the other three.
  • In all my coaching, when asked "coach - what should I swim?" I look at the feet of said swimmer to see if they stand with feet turned out like a duck to tell if the at helps with breaststroke. That sure helps in the kick. Feet even or turned in help with the other three. That's me, definite duck feet. I can point then in pretty easily as well though.
  • You are the first I have heard of with this problem.I'd love it if you could post a video of your BR so I could strive for an explanation. I've got the same issue as well. My breaststroke times aren't horrible but nowhere near what they should be with my kick. I can easily out kick the high school breaststrokers that swim with us but they can all beat me by 10-15 seconds in a 100. When I started masters a few years ago, it looked like breaststroke was naturally my fastest. But improvement over the years has been marginal at best. At this point, I'm probably more competitive in the 200 fly than 200 br. Like Karl, I think there are some flexibility issues holding me back. I also think there are some general strength issues. Could also be technique.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Considering about 70% of the propulsion in breaststroke comes from the kick, one must have an incredibly bad stroke, or stroke timing, in order to be falling behind by 15 seconds against those you beat in kick sets. Are you out-kicking high school breaststrokers who go like 1:10ish, or guys that have sectional times?
  • Considering about 70% of the propulsion in breaststroke comes from the kick, one must have an incredibly bad stroke, or stroke timing, in order to be falling behind by 15 seconds against those you beat in kick sets. Are you out-kicking high school breaststrokers who go like 1:10ish, or guys that have sectional times?I probably shouldn't compare myself to HS swimmers since I have no idea how much effort they are putting forth. They train different than I do. So, here's a more reasonable metric: all out I can kick 100 yd br on about 1:23 w/ kickboard taking a pull before each wall. I can sustain about a 1:33 pace for 500+ yards. In meets, my 50 br is around :33, my 100 is around 1:10 and my 200 is around 2:35. Maybe my expectations are too high?