Choosing a focus distance or stroke / Choosing a specialty

So many swimmers classify themselves as a "sprinter", "breaststroker", "middle distance", "IMer", etc. Since training can affect the outcome, how can you tell if your talent matches what you're training? To clarify with an example: How can you tell if you're really meant to be a distance swimmer vs. you like distance and you've trained yourself into it? There's definitely something to be said for just doing what you like and going with it. Or to just take an all around approach similar to what is recommended for age groupers. But what if you want to pick something to really throw your focus into? Is there an objective way to decide what distance a person should focus on or what stroke a person should focus on? If you have a specialty, how did you decide?
Parents
  • This is absolutely not true. I am the case that disproves the hypothesis. Br kick is by far my best kick. It's ~15s per 100 faster than kicking any other stroke. A few years ago I did a couple of workouts with one of the university swimmers. He was shocked at the speed of my breaststroke kick. I've had several swimmers and coaches remark that I must be a breaststroker. Well no, it is my weakest and least competitive stroke. If I look at those motivational times charts, I can just barely make the BB standard in the breaststroke, (maybe, I'm not sure I can even do that any more.) If I apply one of those ratings calculators, my best breaststroke swim ever (a 200 SCY) rated 74. In contrast, my backstroke kick is lousy, definitely my slowest kick, but surprisingly, backstroke is by far my most competitive stroke. I've actually been faster than the quad-A standard on this motivational charts multiple times, and produced a rating as high as 86. Breaststrokers may be born, not made, but having a good breaststroke kick does not make you a good breaststroker. I'm pretty sure that upper body flexibility is also required, and I don't have that. Efforts to follow stretching regimes to improve it have invariably led to scapular strains. Trying to capitalize on my good breaststroke kick has been ranks right up there with trying to learn to SDK effectively on the frustration meter. You are the first I have heard of with this problem.I'd love it if you could post a video of your BR so I could strive for an explanation.
  • This is absolutely not true. I am the case that disproves the hypothesis. Br kick is by far my best kick. It's ~15s per 100 faster than kicking any other stroke. A few years ago I did a couple of workouts with one of the university swimmers. He was shocked at the speed of my breaststroke kick. I've had several swimmers and coaches remark that I must be a breaststroker. Well no, it is my weakest and least competitive stroke. If I look at those motivational times charts, I can just barely make the BB standard in the breaststroke, (maybe, I'm not sure I can even do that any more.) If I apply one of those ratings calculators, my best breaststroke swim ever (a 200 SCY) rated 74. In contrast, my backstroke kick is lousy, definitely my slowest kick, but surprisingly, backstroke is by far my most competitive stroke. I've actually been faster than the quad-A standard on this motivational charts multiple times, and produced a rating as high as 86. Breaststrokers may be born, not made, but having a good breaststroke kick does not make you a good breaststroker. I'm pretty sure that upper body flexibility is also required, and I don't have that. Efforts to follow stretching regimes to improve it have invariably led to scapular strains. Trying to capitalize on my good breaststroke kick has been ranks right up there with trying to learn to SDK effectively on the frustration meter. You are the first I have heard of with this problem.I'd love it if you could post a video of your BR so I could strive for an explanation.
Children
No Data