Choosing a focus distance or stroke / Choosing a specialty

So many swimmers classify themselves as a "sprinter", "breaststroker", "middle distance", "IMer", etc. Since training can affect the outcome, how can you tell if your talent matches what you're training? To clarify with an example: How can you tell if you're really meant to be a distance swimmer vs. you like distance and you've trained yourself into it? There's definitely something to be said for just doing what you like and going with it. Or to just take an all around approach similar to what is recommended for age groupers. But what if you want to pick something to really throw your focus into? Is there an objective way to decide what distance a person should focus on or what stroke a person should focus on? If you have a specialty, how did you decide?
Parents
  • You are the first I have heard of with this problem.I'd love it if you could post a video of your BR so I could strive for an explanation. I've got the same issue as well. My breaststroke times aren't horrible but nowhere near what they should be with my kick. I can easily out kick the high school breaststrokers that swim with us but they can all beat me by 10-15 seconds in a 100. When I started masters a few years ago, it looked like breaststroke was naturally my fastest. But improvement over the years has been marginal at best. At this point, I'm probably more competitive in the 200 fly than 200 br. Like Karl, I think there are some flexibility issues holding me back. I also think there are some general strength issues. Could also be technique.
  • You are the first I have heard of with this problem.I'd love it if you could post a video of your BR so I could strive for an explanation. I've got the same issue as well. My breaststroke times aren't horrible but nowhere near what they should be with my kick. I can easily out kick the high school breaststrokers that swim with us but they can all beat me by 10-15 seconds in a 100. When I started masters a few years ago, it looked like breaststroke was naturally my fastest. But improvement over the years has been marginal at best. At this point, I'm probably more competitive in the 200 fly than 200 br. Like Karl, I think there are some flexibility issues holding me back. I also think there are some general strength issues. Could also be technique.
Children
No Data