Indtroduction and New to Swimming Need Some Tips

Former Member
Former Member
Good morning, Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Deb aka EboniWave. I'm a new swimmer with about eight months of experience under my belt. other than learning some basics, floating and treading water as a kid, as an adult swimmer I'm pretty much self taught. I can now make it 25 yards without being totally out of breathe. But can't seem to make any significant progress with my breathing or form or technique. So that’s where I am today. My goal is to make swimming a viable cardio exercise that’s fun and enjoyable. I also need a form of cardio as an alternative to running that is non weight bearing and can take the stress off my feet, knees and joints. I had someone take another video of me this past Sunday, and I can now see some improvement. But here’s what I THINK is going on, and this is what I THINK I need help with: · I’m still lifting my head to high to breathe, which makes me sink low and work harder · Still kicking from the knee too much · Maybe I’m OVER rotating on each stroke · I drag my left arm, and my left arm crosses my body under the water · Stroke over 25 yards very inconsistent (both arms) https:youtu.be/hiWLu_adte8 last year (December) https://youtu.be/3bJrufWPyFc Last month https://youtu.be/7J9GEsCcXek taken last Sunday I’d really appreaciate it if someone would comment and critique my video. I've included all three for comparison with where I started and where I am now. I’ll start attending local Master’s sessions in January. In the meantime, it would really be great if I could get some tips to work on SOMETHING to improve before then. Thanks very much. EboniWave
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Yes. All those things. But you're clearly working on it and improving, so good job. What you have now is a good understanding of what you need to do but a lack of balance. That's normal for a beginner (and even some not so beginners with a weak core). To practice balance, I find it helpful to do some drills in short bits, then immediately switch to swimming. (For example, 25 Drill then 25 swim). There are a lot of drills that can help with balance so I'll try not to overwhelm and just give a couple that will be hopefully simple to explain & execute. 1) I agree with Elaine - use that pull bouy to get your legs up, allow yourself to get to press your chest and get your head down. Get comfortable getting down in front without worrying about the legs. 2) practice kicking in a streamline position. This will help you find your balance without leaning on your arms to keep you up. Bonus extra hard move is kicking on your side with one arm out front and the other at your side - with your head in line with the spine, not gasping up to breathe. If you can accomplish that without sinking it will help you enormously with the whole coordination of the upper body. If you're sinking terribly and you have access to fins, use them to get your muscles used to getting in the proper position and then ditch them as soon as possible. Like I said, there are tons of others, some of which you might find really helpful, but a lot of the troubles you are having are a symptom of not finding your center of balance in the water causing you to lean on your arms to breathe and drag the legs. Good luck! Keep swimming! Keep us posted! Thanks for all the tips. I found some videos that demonstrate what you're talking about so I'll be trying them out soon.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Yes. All those things. But you're clearly working on it and improving, so good job. What you have now is a good understanding of what you need to do but a lack of balance. That's normal for a beginner (and even some not so beginners with a weak core). To practice balance, I find it helpful to do some drills in short bits, then immediately switch to swimming. (For example, 25 Drill then 25 swim). There are a lot of drills that can help with balance so I'll try not to overwhelm and just give a couple that will be hopefully simple to explain & execute. 1) I agree with Elaine - use that pull bouy to get your legs up, allow yourself to get to press your chest and get your head down. Get comfortable getting down in front without worrying about the legs. 2) practice kicking in a streamline position. This will help you find your balance without leaning on your arms to keep you up. Bonus extra hard move is kicking on your side with one arm out front and the other at your side - with your head in line with the spine, not gasping up to breathe. If you can accomplish that without sinking it will help you enormously with the whole coordination of the upper body. If you're sinking terribly and you have access to fins, use them to get your muscles used to getting in the proper position and then ditch them as soon as possible. Like I said, there are tons of others, some of which you might find really helpful, but a lot of the troubles you are having are a symptom of not finding your center of balance in the water causing you to lean on your arms to breathe and drag the legs. Good luck! Keep swimming! Keep us posted! Thanks for all the tips. I found some videos that demonstrate what you're talking about so I'll be trying them out soon.
Children
No Data